Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Do You Plan Your Range Sessions? >

Do You Plan Your Range Sessions?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Plan Your Range Sessions?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Default RE: Do You Plan Your Range Sessions?

2F Goex.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Semi!

I sent you one back in .doc format.

I should be able to see that dot. lol

FG could the fouling be due to, too much powder?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its likely some of breed patch gease causing the last 4 inches of the barrel to crud. [gotcha] Lee
Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

an my favorite target

Old 05-15-2008, 01:30 AM

You ever actually shot one of them before UC? I have,,,,,,,,,,once.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

underclocked m, that target just gave me a old fashioned flash back man.............
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I usually have a definite plan in mind when I head to the range. Here are some of the things on my "to do" list.

1. Haven't shot the Mustang in quite a while, and have only ever shot it with Pyrodex or T-7,never real black powder. Need to try it with my abundent supply of GOEX FFFg and my favorite bullets (250 and 300 grain Gold Dots) and see how it does for accuracy and velocity.

2. In the .58 Zouave, .575 balls shot better than .570 balls (both with .018 patches). Need to try some .020 or thicker patches with the smaller balls and see what happens.

3. Along the same lines, I wonder if a tighter patch in the .54 Great Plains will shoot even better than what I've been getting with that gun? Guess I need to try those .020 patches in the GP also.

4. Last month I shot one 5-shot string of 300 grain Lee REALs out of the .54 Great Plains with 95 grains powder. Got a five-in horizontal group. I'm sure that was too much powder for the REAL. Need to try some 70 and 80 grain loads.

5. Looking at my targets from the .50 Renegade with the pitted barrel, I see that all of the six different bullets I tried were shot with the same load - 80 grains Pyrodex RS.Not great accuracy with any of them, but both the 300 grain Gold Dots in crush rib sabots and the Remington 300 grain SJHPs in MMP orange sabots did group into about two inches at 50 yards. Maybe I need to try a few different powder charges with those bulletsbefore I chop off the barrel.

There are more, but these are my top five. What about you?

Time is normally an issue with me. Generally I only have the time to test one or two things per session. This weekend (providing it doesn't rain) I will be testing Blackhorn 209 w/my current hunting loads to see if I can get the same accuracy. I hope to get that finished as my next trip will be help a friend get his new gun up and going.

Unfortunatly, since I moved to the city I don't have the ability to shoot every day. I have to drive a good ways to the range which is annoying to say the least.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

HuntAway-try these guys

Charlie
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I always have a rifle and load in mine before I head out to the range. The advantage I have over many is, if I should change my mind, I walk back into the house and make any adjustments I might want to try...
Old 05-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

cdad, yer nUtZ!

Quick Reply: Do You Plan Your Range Sessions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.