Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Something For Gander To Ponder >

Something For Gander To Ponder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Something For Gander To Ponder

Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Something For Gander To Ponder

Hey gander, have you ever thought about filling a gallon plastic jug with water and burying it in your sandbox so that you're shooting through two or three inches of sand and then into the water? I certainly would not assign extra homework to someone who's doing his share.........but...
Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Something For Gander To Ponder

When i had my deer creek i shot through 3 gallon jugs of water and then into sand with 80g t7 and the 225g powerbelt. They mushroom pretty much like all my other ones.

I'll go and get a gallon jug and try it out in a few minutes. Did you want a video? Pictures will always be up.

Forgot, What bullet did you want to see? the 245at, 270g Platinum,405at or a .45 195g powerbelt?

Also have a bunch of 295g hp powerbelts left.

What powder charge?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:04 PM

well u took to long to answer! I got some nasty black clouds moving in and thunder so i went and loaded up 100g PS and the 270g powerbelt platinum. I'll take a video for fun.

You owe me for makin me get my hands all muddy!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man, I wish I could step outside and take a few shots rather than drive over an hour to the hunting lease. (Would end up costing me a fortune though.)

Muddy hands - the sign of a dedicated experimenter.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:25 PM

Ok i got it to go off, had to fill that drum with 4f to get the darn thing to go off. If it were my rifle, i'd be wring up a for sale add for the POS. I'll let my dad borrow one of my other rifles this year as he has missed 2 deers already due to the rifle not firing even with 3f u
Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you're gonna get hit by lightning, don't be holding your can of powder - could get hurt!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Ok i cant do the video due to the rain. The rifle wouldnt fire 3 times on me so by the time i got the drum filled with 4f the rain had started. Its ready to go as soon as the rain stops.

Really hate this rifle. Gives me second thoughts on buying a GPR percussion barrel.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

What rifle are you using????
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Should have been using the mountain stalker but since i already had one rifle to clean i used my dads cabelas sporterized hawken. This thing has given the 2 of us trouble since day one. There has got to be something in that drum that isnt allowing the powder to flow through under the nipple. Sucker shoots awesome when its not p'in me off. those 405g powerbelt will shoot one dime size 3 shot group @ 58 yards with 80 90 and 100g charges.

Rain is startin to die down a little.

I'll go out in a bit with my rain gear.

Two year old, $275 water proof camo jacket with a broken zipper and very little use [:@]
Old 05-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man, there's no requirement to do homework in the rain.

Does the drum on that gun have a clean-out screw. Have you taken out the screw (or the nipple) and put a light in or against the hole and looked down the bore? You should be able to see if the holes line up right.

Does it have a patent breech or does the drum screw into the barrel in front of the threaded section of the breech plug? You can open up the obstructions(very carefully) with adrill bit brazed on arod.

Quick Reply: Something For Gander To Ponder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.