Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shroon hunting find. >

Shroon hunting find.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shroon hunting find.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shroon hunting find.

Kare got this shot out our living room window a week or so ago.

I now know where she went and why. She let me get with in5 feet of her then flew up nearly in my face and scares the crap out of me. I know grose are good at doing that but a turkey. I never seen her till she flew either.

Nope didn't find any shroons. I think it has been to dry here plus we are a couple weeks behind normal.

I was talking to a friend about loading some shotgun shells with gorex or a sub to use during turkey season next year. He seems to think that it wouldn't work unless you used brass cases. I am sure my grand dad bought paper shells with black powder but I can't ask since he has been gone 50 years.

Al
Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 AM

Default RE: Shroon hunting find.

You could still buy low brass paper shells in the '60s but loaded with smokeless powder. You can load plastic hulls with BP using 80 grains of 2Fas a 3 dram load or RS Pyrodexand they work fine. This way you can reload with regular wad and shot and not have to buy smokeless powder. I have an article in a coming issue of Backswoodsman Magazine(probably July/August ) on making a shotshell reloading setup for about a dollar. If you use the same components as a BP shotgun load you are home free and on the cheap. I've reloaded a lot of the hulls 10-15 times and they are fine.
Rock Lock
Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

She let me get with in5 feet of her then flew up nearly in my face and scares the crap out of me.
Had one do exactly the same thing to me a couple of years ago. Makes your heart go THUMP, THUMP, THUMP!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been there while scouting.Scared the P!$$ out of me
Old 05-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the nice comments,

I have a adjustable bar for one of my Mec reloaders so I guess i will weight a few volume measures of powder and see if I can load a few plastic hulls. I wonder if I'llneed different wads than the clay buster w12's. Now that should shake some people up at the sporting clays course. Maybe smoke them out.

Al