Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex P

Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pyrodex P

I've been reading some mixed reviews on Pyrodex P powder. Do any of you guys use it in your caplocks? And if so, how reliable is ignition withe #11 cap?
I want to try it in my 45 GM barrel. The RS seem to be working OK but want to try the finer grained P.
Another thing, the last 2 times out I had some problems igniting the main charge. I was getting the cap to go off with no problem. A couple of times after snapping off 2 or 3 caps without a bang, I removed the cleaning set screw on the snail and ran a pipe cleaner through and also into the nipple. Still no bang. So, I removed the set screw again and gave it a shot of FFFFg from my pan primer, put the set screw in and the rifle finally went off. Now I don't know why the rifle didn't fire initially. But this was like the 4th or 5th loading. I did order some hot shot nipples for the rifle to see it that improves ignition.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pyrodex P

bronko22000

To be honest with you I hate all forms of Pyro... But to be able to shoot some Rende events it was suggested that I try Pryo - I bought RS and really had no problem setting it off, but if I were to buy more it would be "P" - I think it would burn cleaner and it certainly would work it's way out under the nipple easier. For hunting with a sidelock percussion I shoot T7-3f with #11 Mag Caps. I have not had any problem with that going off either. I did have problems with T7-2f in really cold weather but the 3f solved that problem.

Are your caps #11 or #11 Mags?

I guess I am also wondering about your nipple if you are not always getting the caps to ignite....
Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Pyrodex P is an excellent powder, All pyrodex is in fact. You're probably having a nipple problem. Its not as bad as it sounds

Some times its hard to get the powder to shift over into the snail/drum and under the nipple. Other times, Its the nipples fault.

I like the Hollow base spitfire, Knight "Redhot" I think its called. Those are my two favorite to use. 4 of our sidelocks use the hollow base spitfires all because the factory nipples caused nothing but hang fires.

CCI #11 magnum's also help if you can find them.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I like Pyrodex P as a powder. It shoots real well in cap lock rifles for me.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

That may have bee my main problem. When I ran the pipe cleaner into th snail, I didn't feel any powder in there. The spark probably had a long way to travel and maybe just didn't get far enough. I was using the Pyro RS which is a bit coarse.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

Are you helping the powder make the move to out under the nipple? When I drop course powder I tilt the gun to the side of the nipple and pour a few grains down then tap the side of the stock to help influence the powder into the flash channel... then drop the rest in.

Another thing that I have done is "decrease" the length of the of the flash channel by swapping out the long nipple for the very short nipple. I can not remember ifyou gun is a TC or not but them and Lymanboth offer a very short nipple (different threads of course)

This the short TC nipple - you can see how short the tower is as compared to other nipples. I beleive this is and "effort" to reduce the length the spark has to travel. I have switched all of mine out to this variety. The "hot shots" "red hots" do work very well also, but here in the the cold winter these "seem" to function more consistently.

Another thing if you can find them- the German DynimitNoble 1075+ caps seem also to be the hottest #11 mag cap.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

A few things to check, [by the way pryrodex is the most excellant sub] You need to use either mag or RWS #1075 caps, make sure your hammer is hitting square on the nipple and coming down hard enough a weak hammer spring has caused many problems in several of the lower priced brands, when you load your powder slap the side of the barrel several times so that it settles down into the snail before you load your PBR or bullet.
Yes P has given many of us good dependable results, some times much better than RS. If you have any kind of ignition problems at all stay away from 777 it is the hardest of all to ignite except for Blackhorn 209. al so make sure that a patch or peice of a patch has not been lost down the barrel and is keeping the powder away from the snail, a bit of grease could do that also. Lee
Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

LEE!

[by the way pryrodex is the most excellant sub]
YUK! using part of your words...pryrodex is the mostdirty, stinky. corrosive powder out there... but you are right it works.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

pyrodex works great but sure does stink. from what ive seen through the years including guns ive looked at with good and not so good cleaning habits it is less corrosive than black powder.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 AM

Nancies

All subs are corrosive, except for the smokeless blackhorn of course.

You leave any sub in the barrel, pyro,t7,app. Its going to cause some kind of trouble like rust or pitting. Now lets not forget that the rifles you find that are all pitted to hell, these rifles 99.9 % of the time were first time amateurs who had no clue how to take care of the rifles or even how to shoot them and thats why you find them for sale in such poor condition.
Been using pyrodex in all of my muzzle loaders since i started with one and never had i had any issues with it in my rifles. Had my mountain stalker loaded with 80g pyrodex select for slightly over a month and it went boom right away and hit where it should have. No pitting or anything wrong down in the barrel.

Quick Reply: Pyrodex P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.