Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209

Old 05-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Blackhorn 209

It seems to good to be true, the last shot loads just as smooth as the first without ever wiping much less the kind of cleaning I have had to do with 777. My shooting for groups has been very similar but wihout those unexplained flyers the velocity is higher with the same load and the pressure is lower as long as I am using 300gr or less the penality for using heavy bullets up to 300 gr is much smaller than with the other subs, the only draw back is I dont get near the velocity with the 200 gr 40 cal that I expected not much more than the 250gr with the same load [about 2100 with the 250 and 120gr BH].
I just ordered 10 pounds because I believe that they will produce a certain amount each year and when enough people try it that there will be a shortage about the time I order my stuff for hunting season.
It really is more fun to shoot now with out all the fooling around between shots, the only trouble with that is I burn up a lot more componants in half the time; also seems a lot different to give the barrel a wipe out with Hoppes #9 and put the gun away, no sign off any corrosion in 3 months but I will take it apart and clean it good every 3 months any way.
Have a good day. Lee
Old 05-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blackhorn 209

[:@] I guess I'm going to have to go to the store... more money.

Did you shoot any of it out of a sidelock? I talked to a guy the other day that said he was getting missfires about every 3rd shot and some pretty bad hangfires. Of course that was the first time I've ever talked to the guy so he may have had no clue what he was talking about.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 PM

Inlines with 209 ignition only. Hence the name "blackhorn "209" "
Old 05-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

TNHagies
Yes as a matter of fact I did, I primed it with about 10 gr of black just to see what it would do and that worked fine. I also shot some with a outfit I bought many years ago before we ever heard of inlines it is similar to a musket nipple only you can unscrew the top and put a largerifle primer in it with mag large rifle primers it shot the BH209 fine. I only tried it in my Renagade 54 cal. With 110 gr and the mag large rifle primer it was very accurate and 2100fps. Lee
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

10 gr of black just to see what it would do and that worked fine.
Hey Lee, how many shots did you take like that, and what was the fouling like?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

that's an idea if it works.. duplex with goex and then put the blackhorn 209 on top of that for the rifles that ignition system will not shoot it off consistently.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 PM

But what the heck would the point be? You just dumped 10g of corrosive black powder down the bore, fired so many shots and all you got was 10oz of powder for $30 and still have to deal with corrosion. Doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Kind of like buying a brand new dodge ram 3500 and putting a 6 cylinder ford in it.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doesnt make any sense to me at all.
You're probably right, Gander. But I do so many things that don't make sense that this would hardly be noticed. I don't plan on buying any BH, but if I did I would have to try the duplex load in some of my hammer guns just to see what happens with velocity and accuracy.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM

Yeah right! Everytime some one on here says they dont plan on trying/buying it, They always do.

Remember when i said i'd never buy another inline?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Semisane, I shot 3 groups of 3 shots each works just fine, all most no fouling. Of course I cleaned the gun good first with Hoppies #9 then with soap and water.
frontier gander, some things dont have to make sense; we are working with some thing new here and following a learning curve. I tried this to see what it would take to get BH to work in a triditional muzzle loader, when it worked fine I dug out the oldnipple that takes large rifle primers and put mag large rifle primers in it that work fine too; there for I can use BH in my renagade to if I want which just happens to please me. Lee

Quick Reply: Blackhorn 209

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.