Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Colorado Mule Deer Hunt >

Colorado Mule Deer Hunt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Colorado Mule Deer Hunt

Old 04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Spike

Default Colorado Mule Deer Hunt

I have been lucky enough to draw a tag to go mule deer hunting during muzzleloading season in Colorado in September. All the other guys I am going with have elk tags during this season and will be using muzzleloaders as well. I have heard that this is the rut for the elk during this time (middle of Sept.) is this right? How is the mule deer hunting in september in CO? and any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Default RE: Colorado Mule Deer Hunt

Depends on what area you are in. Im west of trinidad and if its hot, all hunting sucks. Once it cools down, elk and deer will be running around. A few years ago the only elk i saw were 2-300 yards away and in thick timber that you couldnt possibly sneek through.

How do you know that you drew a tag? Results dont come out until june/july.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be hunting deer with a muzzy as well (although the drawing results are not official yet as stated). However, I will be hunting at or above timberline assuming that we don't get some early snows.

Yes, the rut for elk is in progress, this should be a good year as the season is a few days later than last year, so you may hear more bugling.

Success over the entire state for deer muzzy season was 31 percent last fall. So it depends on the location and the weather. The last time I muzzy hunted for elk with a bull tag in my pocket and no deer tag, I didn't see any bulls but was in range ofsome pretty nice bucks!

Good luck on your hunt. If you don't get to hunt a timberline buck this year, you should do some research and try it sometime. I enjoy deer hunting at timberline more than any other zone.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anytime I hunt Elk in September with a Muzzleloader or Archery Tag I see lots of Big Mule deer.I have seen more Big Mulies during September then during the regular rifle season but not by much.