Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Well, ya gotta hunt something... >

Well, ya gotta hunt something...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Well, ya gotta hunt something...

Old 04-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well, ya gotta hunt something...

It seems like huntin’ season is years from starting up again so I get really bored. Sat morning I look out the back window and see a groundhog peaking out of his hole. I said “Something to shoot!!” So I pulled out the Hawken, run both sides of a dry patch down the barrel, poured 20grains of 777 2F down the barrel and sat a patched round ball on top of it. Now I do 99% of my huntin’ from a stand so I’m not well practiced in the art of stalking. However, I am going to Colorado in Sept for an elk hunt (assuming I get drawn) so I figured now’s the perfect time to practice. I got to the tree line and crawled about 75 yards until I finally found an opening. It was about 30yards at this point. Took a rest off a sapling, laid the front sight on his head and touched it off. There he lay. I hit him just under the ear and he never moved a muscle.

It’s funny how putting a ML in the hands of a grown man can turn him into a kid instantly. I’ve killed hundreds of deer and turkey in my life but that stupid groundhog actually got my heart pumpin’. I guess that’s why we all enjoy shooting these stinkin’ things so much. Anyways, it’s slow on here this time of year so I thought I’d share.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Well, ya gotta hunt something...

Nice stalk and shot! It looks like a big one too.
Thanks for sharingyour story& picturesand for lettingusin onyourhunt.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice stalk and shot. Do you eat them? We use our muzzle loaders on youtes some when we are seting up in places with some short than 150 to 300 yard shots.

Al
Old 04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

Nice stalk and shot. Do you eat them? We use our muzzle loaders on youtes some when we are seting up in places with some short than 150 to 300 yard shots.

Al
I have eatten them before, but they are not my #1 choice of cusine. I ML hunt yotes as well-in fact the only thing that I don't use a ML for is for spring Gobbler season. One day in the future I forsee following dave's lead and buying a ML shotgun as well.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Excellent hunt & stalkthere.. and a real nice shot on that devil. These rifles do add a whole different degree of excitment. That's why I warn all not shooters not to get involved in them or they will get hooked..
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shot. There's a lady my dad knows that has a prarie dog town on her land, told him anytime he wants to go shoot some to come on out. This summer I'm going to try some XTP's on them, see what happens.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

20 grains of 777? I guess that's enough (obviously, hehehe). Is that a normal powder charge for a patched round ball?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Great stalk and shot. Turkey season started today here in Mo and I can't get out until Sunday. I know what you mean and I guess I would quit it all if I did'nt get excited at the smallest varmits when I have a shot.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice shooting there, TNHagies. When a hunt offers itself you just have to do it. Did you poke it with your muzzle to make sure it was dead when you approached it?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gt2003

20 grains of 777? I guess that's enough (obviously, hehehe). Is that a normal powder charge for a patched round ball?
It is when I hunt squirrels, rabbits and groundhogs. I guess if I was shooting farther I would up the charge but 20g has a surprisinglygood punch to it. Plus there's no sense in beatin' up the shoulder if you don't have to.

Quick Reply: Well, ya gotta hunt something...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.