Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anybody Use the 250gr Barnes MZ? >

Anybody Use the 250gr Barnes MZ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anybody Use the 250gr Barnes MZ?

Old 02-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody Use the 250gr Barnes MZ?

Thanks woods, will do. I have never been a part fan, they don' t group well enough out of my CF' s. The NBT is a different story. What brand or who makes the boattails you mentioned? I noticed you mentioned Cabela' s, but we can not order ammo from them anymore (canadian...eh!!!!). I wouldn' t mind giving them a go, if i can find them.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:38 PM

Hmmmmmmmm............bummer,Cabelas are marketing them theirselves in their catalogs.Don' t mention whos making them for them.

woods
Old 02-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Check out www.prbullet.com you will find the Traditions bullet (Silver Lightning) and the Cabella' s bullet (QT Polymer Tip) there. They make them and provide valuable info for ML' s also.

Almost forgot, I have also used the 250 gr MZ' s. Great performance on two bucks in the 2001 season, used 303 gr JHP Rem Core-Lokts in 2002 also on two. Both bullets performed well. I had no problem using the MZ' s in my 2001 Austin & Halleck .50 cal, didn' t have enough MZ' s to work up a load in my new 2002 Austin & Halleck .50 cal. Two other friends use MZ' s (300 gr) in their A&H ML' s with no problem.

Robbie

I had a comma behind the .com, now corrected
Old 02-25-2003, 01:40 PM

Thanks,can' t get the link to work but will find them and add to favorites.Now I' ll want to get the silver lightning again and I got two packs of Barnes

woods
Old 02-25-2003, 01:51 PM

OK I got in and thats them,those Dead Centers look real good,better than the Silver Lightnings.Thanks Again for the tip,Robbie.

woods
Old 02-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I checked where I buy my ML supplies locally and they have the dead centers in 300 gr only. Supposely there are planning to bring in some of lighter grains in spring/summer.

Thanks for the brand name info. I think I may give them a run come warm weather.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter7mm,I am a little confused on the nosler 180 and 195 bullets,I looked at Cabelas and noslers web site neither listed any noslers in 180 and 195 gr bullets only listed 50 and 54 cal in 250 grs and up.
I have used the nosler 185 gr pistol bullets and the worked great but they look like the xpt bullet,no plastic tip or boat tail.
Are you sure they wasn' t talking about the pression bullet that has a blue tip and boat tail.If this is something new that nosler has come out with would like to try them.I have tried the pb in the dead center and the QT tip and like them too, but if you click on the link below you can see how I got the barnes 195 gr to shoot in my encore.
Anyone else know about the nosler bullets??
Old 02-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Herman the ones I was orginally refered to were the Nosler PB' s. I know that I can get these locally, I was just looking for input on how they performed and if they worth a try or stick with the XTP' s.

Woodseye mentioned the plastic tipped/boattail style in a reply, available through cabela' s. I was looking for manufacturer' s that may have that style bullet, as being canadian I can no longer order those supplies through the US.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have used both the Barnes MZ 250 gr bullet and the Precision Rifle " Dead Center" bullet in 220 gr.
I had excellent accuracy with both from my Encore 209x50 ML.
Differences: Barnes was most difficult to get down the bbl, while the " dead center" easily goes down the tube.
Barnes has a terrible drop at 150+ yds while the " dead center" is still screaming at 200 yds
Both bullets and their sabots handle 150 gr. of pyrodex very well.
The polymer tip on the " dead center give the bullet a better " B.C." , flatter trajectory and hotter velocities.
p.s. I bought my " Dead center" bullets directly from the manufacturer, and funny enough, they are located in Canada!
Old 02-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info. I have found the same with my XTP' s, shoot great, preform great, but 150 or better they drop off like now and very tough to stuff down the barrel.

I am definately going to pick up dead centers with the polymer tip this spring. What type and amount of powder are you using with the dead centers? I know that their website has a lot of test (Ballistic) data on triple 7. I never realized they are right next door in Manitoba. I just have to try them now, if only to support a canadian company. However they do look rock solid and seem to be what I am looking for.

I find that very interesting that americans can buy and export ammo for personal use from canada, but not vice versa. Are you a dealer by chance???

Thanks Again.

Quick Reply: Anybody Use the 250gr Barnes MZ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.