Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .451 White's frist range trip >

.451 White's frist range trip

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.451 White's frist range trip

Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default .451 White's frist range trip

The White .451 has a 1X Nikon scope on it. I wanted to see if the scope was close to being on. I set a Shoot N-C Birchwood Casey target out at 25 yards. It has been shot a few times with a .22 but I was sure I could tell the difference between them and a .451 460 grain Bull Shop Conical hole.

This was a ten shot group. I never swabbed the barrel between any of the shots. The bullets loaded easy. I was shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f powder and no wad. I was pretty pleased with the group it shot for the first time on the range.

Then I wanted to check some other conicals I had around the house. These were made by Black Jack Hill. They are 450 grain .452 diameter. I used a homemade Castor Oil lube on them and again shot them with 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f. To be fair to the new projectile I swabbed the barrel clean. They loaded a little tighter then the .451 but nothing terrible mind you. The first shot was a little out of the group, but the next four hits were good.

Weather was cold, drizzle, over cast, and a slight wind. Not real nice to be sitting out in, but when you want to shoot, you want to shoot....
Old 04-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .451 White's frist range trip

Dave it looks like that white is going to be a good one!!! Kerry
Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, I was real pleased with the rifle... And the trigger is sweet. I do have to hone down the breech plug nipple part. It is a little thick. Some emory cloth will fix that though.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Wow! another good shooter - course the guy behind the stock helps get groups like this also....

How and the heck are you going to decide what to shoot during hunting season??? there is not enough days in the season for you to shoot one gun in the morning and a different gun in the evening...

Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

It's a burden I bare with great humility...
Old 04-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

Like I said he needs a golf cart so he can put several guns in it and pull it to the woods. May be a gun bearer is in order. The master needs that.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Nice shooting.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:25 AM

Dave thats some really good shooting , BUT I hateto say that I am going to need that Rifle back
I didn't know that it was going to shoot that well. lol
Looks like it will do you well , CONGRATS.

Ron
Old 04-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Way to shoot Dave. It's a terrible thing to have so many good shooting MLs and being unable to decide which one to use. That rifle looks pretty sharp - even for an inline.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

While the rifle did real well on its first trip to the range.. It was only to check the scope to make sure I mounted it right. I had door knob sighted it at 13 yards and it worked. And even though it was a great group, it was only at 25 yards. I expect a good rifle to group that well at 25 yards, and the 1X scope is a great aiming device. The scope is not much of an advantage optics magnification wise, but it is a constant aim point on the target. So the rifle likes its load, it laid them in to a group real well, but the real test will be when I get back to some of the further distances with it.

I just ordered a Bushnell Browning Elite 3200 with firefly for it. I never had a Bushnell 3200 but Sabotloader told me they are good scopes so I respect his opinion. Besides, for $129.00 I could not pass it up. Firefly is a cool option besides having the rain guard and all that other stuff. You shine a flashlight through the scope for ten seconds and the cross hairs somehow absorb that light and turn green for up to two hours they claim. Should help in the low light conditions.

Quick Reply: .451 White's frist range trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.