Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need a verification >

Need a verification

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need a verification

Old 03-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need a verification

I need to verify the thread pitch on the CVA touch hole liner. I think it is 5 x.8 but there's so few threads on it I'm having trouble using my thread pitch gaugeto measureit. Does anyone know for sure what it is?

I'm to the point in my Perc to flintBobcat conversion where I'm getting ready to drill the hole for the touch hole and thought I would go ahead an install the factory type touch hole liner so I can replace as needed. I have figured out that I'm going to have to offset the hole a bit to keep it just over the pan of the lock I have.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a verification

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

I need to verify the thread pitch on the CVA touch hole liner. I think it is 5 x.8 but there's so few threads on it I'm having trouble using my thread pitch gaugeto measureit. Does anyone know for sure what it is?

I'm to the point in my Perc to flintBobcat conversion where I'm getting ready to drill the hole for the touch hole and thought I would go ahead an install the factory type touch hole liner so I can replace as needed. I have figured out that I'm going to have to offset the hole a bit to keep it just over the pan of the lock I have.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
So you converted a Perc barrel to FL? I am interested in doing the same thing except with a TC. So how do you get the Percussion part off the barrel? An then you redrill the touchhole? Chap
Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's pretty easy to make your own touch hole liners, then you can locate the touch hole where you want it...It should be covered by the bottom of the frizzen when closed, most factory guns are too low...

I use 1/4 stainless steel threaded rod, fine threads and cone from the inside...
Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Found this link that might help
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(c4cj22453sfeupnbkl0gj4u4))/categories/PARTDETAIL.ASPX?CATID=14&SUBID=173&STYLEID =792&PARTNUM=THL-CVA-S
Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Since you're going to be drilling and tapping for the liner, you can choose your thread style. If you're not going to make your own liner, I recommend you consider the RMC replacement liners that are installed with an allen wrench. They have four or five thread styles avaliable. Check them out at:

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm (click on "blackpowder shooting accessories, and scroll down to touch hole liners)
Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chap,
The drum/bolster on the CVA just unscrews and leaves a 10mm-1.25 threaded hole. I am using a grade 8.5 bolt to fill the hole and then drill the fire channel in the same way the drum is and thread it for the touch hole liner.

Wabi,
Thanks for the link, I should have checked there before posting. That is the exact liner I have.

Semisane,
I was planning on making my own touch hole liner but found one at a shop and decided to save the hassle and go with one that's all ready to go.

Thanks for all the help