Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patch question

Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Patch question

I bought some non lubricated patches like you guys suggested. They are .015 1 1/4" cotton tickies. Heres my question do I need to lube these patches. Will crisco work? How should I apply the crisco to the patches?

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Patch question

There are a lot of lubes, and crisco (although I've never used it) should work fine.
You can simply rub it on the patches with your fingers, then seal them in a zip-lock type bag in a warm place. The lube will soak in and saturate the material. (if you're in a hurry a few seconds in the microwave works, too ) You don't want the lube dripping off the patch, but you do want the material to be saturated with it.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Crisco is fine, if you have any SnoSeal that will work as well...Heck, I know one competitive shooter that uses axle grease and another that uses vasoline...

To apply, quick answer, smear it on the patch...I've heard of guys melting in the microwave and dredging the patches through...btw, 30 years ago, I was taught to just lube one side, and that side goes to the barrel...Nowadays folks want to saturate them....

I buy the cotton ticking by the yard for about $4.00...I then cut into strips about 1 1/2 inches wide and about 24 inches long, I put my ticking on some newspaper and take a putty knife and apply lube on both sides then I roll it up into a ball and put on a paper plate and microwave about 20 seconds...Then I can put in my patch box or cut at muzzle or loading block...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agree. Crisco will work fine. I lay a patch down on an old saucer, put a dab of lube on it with my fingertip, lay another patch on top of that one, then another dab of lube, and keep doing that until I have a two-inch stack. Then Ipress down on the stack to distribute the lube.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Yes crisco works great. I use crisco patches in my 45 and 50s.

Get yourself a small bowl, add crisco "More than you think you will need" Pop it into the microwave and melt its till its pure liquid.

Take a stack of patches, Aprox. 1" worth and dip them into the crisco and let them soak up the oil. I like to use a spoon and push the patches down firm, let off, press down again. This just helps soak it up faster.

Let cool for a few minutes and then take a paper towel and firmly squeeze the patches down to squeeze out the excess oil.

Works excellent with stiff 90 to 110 grain charges for me.

If you have any Murphys oil soap, add a teaspoon full to the crisco and mix it together. Very pleasent smell and supposed to cut down fouling.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 AM

Question about the crisco...Should u make sure it is the salt free brand?

I have heard the salt can ruin the barrel...True or False
Old 03-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

True