Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullet stop suggestions  for Cory >

Bullet stop suggestions for Cory

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet stop suggestions for Cory

Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Bullet stop suggestions for Cory

Cory...If you can,you should make your bullet trap out of wood...
Put in some old phone books or something like that in the front and
then sand in behind them..This has always worked for me..Make it
big enough so that your shots will all connect with it..After a few
months you can clean it out and retreve all your bullets or round
balls..The wood gives you a place to tack your targets to.

Hows the job hunt working out for you?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet stop suggestions for Cory

I may do that. I got a little time.

and for the job. I am going tomarrow, maybe, depends on how I feel, and bug a place I applied for before I lost my job,

good news, I am getting my unemployment starting today, more then I was bringing in working sheesh.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM

well,good luck man.Hang in there..My grandmother used to say
better days ahead...
Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

The only thing I hate about using paper as something to slow down bullets is the mess. All of that has to be cleaned up or it looks like the devil. Another way if you have a range that does not change is drive a post in the ground. Throw a tire over that post and fill it with sand. Then another tire, more sand, and so on until you have a working height for a bullet stop. The bullet will enter that tire, and hit sand. The sand will stop that bullet. As the tires get more and more shredded, just spin them around to a part that is not shot up. Depending on how much you shoot, the tires will last accordingly. The problem.. again, once the tires are no longer working for you, you have to find a place to discard them. That is not always as easy as it sounds since these tires will be a mass of rubber, and steel bands sticking out of them. They do last a long time through.

The best back stop still is a mound of dirt. The next trap I make I am going to purchase a could yards of fill dirt and have it dumped at my range end. Then I will form up some timbers to contain it, but basically with my shooting stand I made out of PVC I will shoot through the paper, and it will hit the dirt where it will end.

Prior to all my shooting, I had a lot of different traps. Right now I have a steel trap, but I want to use those pieces of steel and hang them in the woods for a walking wood target. So I will need something, like dirt, to replace the steel.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

give me a few days. mainly to start feeling better. gotta wait and see how my money looks like as well. I may have some stuff I can use around the house. I found some tires with rims that are not used by any of the car in the family. I think about it. a got my bucket full of sand I will try right now.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I must be lazy, I just took my tractor when the back hoe was on it and dug into the side of a big sand loam hill till I had it square and put a couple of big PVC tubes in the ground with caps on the botton and made a target frame so the legs would go in the PVC when I wanted to shoot, when I want to shoot I just put the frame on the ATV load my stuff and drive the 1/2 ile or so to the other side of my property. I gave an old wood ironing board a bit of modification and us it as a bench rest. Lee
Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I must be lazy, I just took my tractor when the back hoe was on it and dug into the side of a big sand loam hill till I had it square and put a couple of big PVC tubes in the ground with caps on the botton and made a target frame so the legs would go in the PVC when I wanted to shoot, when I want to shoot I just put the frame on the ATV load my stuff and drive the 1/2 ile or so to the other side of my property. I gave an old wood ironing board a bit of modification and us it as a bench rest. Lee
I am lazy too. to tell the truth and ask johnny, what brought this up anyway.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use car tires filled with sand. They are not set over a post. You can staple a target to the tires with an arrow T 50 stapler, bald tires work best for the staples rather than near new tires. I have shot them for a long time with my 54 cal and several 50 cal Muzzle loaders. I also have shot them for several years with center fires from 220 swift to 300 winney mag.
If you want to recover the lead just make a screen frame for 1/4 inch screen. place some sand in it and shake till only thing left is stones and lead.

Al
Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I figured I do something like that but recovering lead is my main goal. I think I got it. but I need time to get better before I start working on
Old 03-07-2008, 04:55 AM

I know a fellow that had tires for a back stop and a 44 wad cutter came back and took his
right out...A 22 bullet will come back at you as well...Tires can be DANGEROUS..
Please be careful guys...We had them in backs at our range' we took them out and our insurance
was lowered as well....

Quick Reply: Bullet stop suggestions for Cory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.