Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need help with "my homework" >

Need help with "my homework"

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help with "my homework"

Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help with "my homework"

I got out and shot the new hawken today. After getting the gun sited in I set up a target at 40 yards. All shots where using 60 grs. of pyrodex RS and a .15 patch w/ .490 RB. The 1st shot was inside a 2" bullseye, 2nd shot was 4" low and left. 3rd shot was right back in the bullseye. 4th & 5th shot missed the paper completely. I swabbed the barrel between each shot. I found all 5 patches and they seemed pretty ripped up. What went wrong and how should I fix it?

Thanks a bunch

P.S. I am new to this traditional stuff so feel free to give me some pointers.

Die Hard
Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Default RE: Need help with "my homework"

Sounds like it may be a flinching problem....Keep trying,ok
and report back to us..
Old 03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

I doubt it was flintching cause I have never fliched in my life even when shooting 3" 12 gauge slugs ( I weigh 120 lbs). I am sure that every time I pulled the trigger I had a good sight picture and the front sight was taking up the whole dot. Heres the 2 good shots.

Die Hard
Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 PM

The patch problem could be caused by the lube thats on them. I simply use Crisco, melt it and then dip my patches. Corey came up with a nice idea of mixing bore butter in with the crisco. I feel that adds a little better protection to the patch. How does it load on a fouled barrel? If it still loads easy, Buy some .018 pillow ticking patches.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: diehardhunter

I got out and shot the new hawken today. After getting the gun sited in I set up a target at 40 yards. All shots where using 60 grs. of pyrodex RS and a .15 patch w/ .490 RB. The 1st shot was inside a 2" bullseye, 2nd shot was 4" low and left. 3rd shot was right back in the bullseye. 4th & 5th shot missed the paper completely. I swabbed the barrel between each shot. I found all 5 patches and they seemed pretty ripped up. What went wrong and how should I fix it?

Thanks a bunch

P.S. I am new to this traditional stuff so feel free to give me some pointers.

Die Hard
The ripped up patches kind of bother me. It would suggest either you have old patches and they are getting blow out, or you have a ruff bore. The other thing could be something as simple as you have not found the sweet load yet. Also the rifle is new, lots of times it will take a few rounds to break them in. So do not get too concerned about it yet. Also how old is your powder?

I would get some new patches for starters. Try them.If the powder is real old,get a new pound of that also. If you have a bore light, check the bore for ruff places. To do this, that some cotton balls and work them into a patch worm. Then push the cotton balls down the bore and back up. Drop a bore light down there and look for fiber hanging off the walls. Now a little is normal. A lot is not. If there is a lot of cotton fibers, then you need to use something to smooth the bore a little. Something else to try is a bore button between the powder and the patched ball. That will protect the patch. If you have no bore buttons, some corn meal will also work.

I really think all you need do is maybe get some new patches if yours are old. And just keep shooting. Also kick the charge up a little on that rifle. Most of my T/C rifles are powder hogs. They like a good strong charge. Like I said, I would not get too worried, just go have some fun and see what happens. If that rifle will group consistently like what you show there, you will have a real meat pole filler.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not gotten my new englander shooting good yet. but what I can tell the 50% bore butter and 50% crisco on store bought .015 patchs are working well next time out I going to try corn meal buffer.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

The powder is maybe 2 weeks old. The patches are also 2 weeks old, they are tc pre lube patches. I am going to shoot some conicals and see if I can get good accuracy with them. If I do then I know its not me. I want to hunt with a prb though.

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 03-02-2008, 08:36 PM

i always had problems with those tc prelubed patches. They never lube them enough and burn right up. Buy unlubed patches and do your own, You'll be A LOT happier.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

With the new powder and patches as you report, I would guess you just have not found the right load. I would kick that powder charge up to 70 grains next time out and see what happens. I do not think your flinching. And I am guessing the fix is something very simple. Maxiball shoot well out of my Hawkins rifles...
Old 03-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tried the TC pre-lubed in my New Englander. Ended up throwing them away. Shoots fine with WalMart pillow ticking and spit or CVA Grease Patch.

Quick Reply: Need help with "my homework"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.