HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help with "my homework"
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need help with "my homework"

ORIGINAL: diehardhunter

I got out and shot the new hawken today. After getting the gun sited in I set up a target at 40 yards. All shots where using 60 grs. of pyrodex RS and a .15 patch w/ .490 RB. The 1st shot was inside a 2" bullseye, 2nd shot was 4" low and left. 3rd shot was right back in the bullseye. 4th & 5th shot missed the paper completely. I swabbed the barrel between each shot. I found all 5 patches and they seemed pretty ripped up. What went wrong and how should I fix it?

Thanks a bunch

P.S. I am new to this traditional stuff so feel free to give me some pointers.

Die Hard
The ripped up patches kind of bother me. It would suggest either you have old patches and they are getting blow out, or you have a ruff bore. The other thing could be something as simple as you have not found the sweet load yet. Also the rifle is new, lots of times it will take a few rounds to break them in. So do not get too concerned about it yet. Also how old is your powder?

I would get some new patches for starters. Try them.If the powder is real old,get a new pound of that also. If you have a bore light, check the bore for ruff places. To do this, that some cotton balls and work them into a patch worm. Then push the cotton balls down the bore and back up. Drop a bore light down there and look for fiber hanging off the walls. Now a little is normal. A lot is not. If there is a lot of cotton fibers, then you need to use something to smooth the bore a little. Something else to try is a bore button between the powder and the patched ball. That will protect the patch. If you have no bore buttons, some corn meal will also work.

I really think all you need do is maybe get some new patches if yours are old. And just keep shooting. Also kick the charge up a little on that rifle. Most of my T/C rifles are powder hogs. They like a good strong charge. Like I said, I would not get too worried, just go have some fun and see what happens. If that rifle will group consistently like what you show there, you will have a real meat pole filler.