Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

powerbelt bullets

Old 02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default powerbelt bullets

I shot a deer last year with a 295 grain aerotip powerbelt bullet.The shot was broadside 130 yards.I hit high and shattered the bucks spine,but the bullit didn't expand much or leave an incredible exit,the exit was no bigger than the entrance.I shot it out of a 28inch barrel with three triple seven 50 grain pellets so I was at maximum velocity for my guns pressure limits.Have any of you experienced this or did I just not hit enough bone for good expansion.I haven't shot any others with this bullet but it makes me wonder if I would have had a long tracking job had I hit the deer in the rib cage with no expansion,though the 50 caliber hole would cause it to bleed out pretty fast I guess,but still expansion is good.Or was velocity to low at 130 yards for good expansion to occur.I'm thinking about going back to 240grain hornady's with a sabot but it doesn't shoot as accurate as the powerbelt's in my gun,any advice is appreciated.thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Default RE: powerbelt bullets

http://www.gbofreeforums.info/ThePowerbeltForum/viewtopic.php?t=4

What was your powder charge?

Whoops never mind, You used the typical error when using powerbelts. 3 pellets = A big no no.

I did the same thing when i first started using them.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Coyote

If any one knows about this subject it is this feller !!!

I was going to suggest you read his wightup but I see he is already trying to set you up with the best Info I have ever read on this Bullet. two thumbs up FG .

Ron
Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 pellets of powder + 295 grain powerbelt = lots of overexpansion, not enough penetration.

Back off to 2 pellets and you should be fine.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyote#68

I shot a deer last year with a 295 grain aerotip powerbelt bullet.The shot was broadside 130 yards.I hit high and shattered the bucks spine,but the bullit didn't expand much or leave an incredible exit,the exit was no bigger than the entrance.I shot it out of a 28inch barrel with three triple seven 50 grain pellets so I was at maximum velocity for my guns pressure limits.Have any of you experienced this or did I just not hit enough bone for good expansion.I haven't shot any others with this bullet but it makes me wonder if I would have had a long tracking job had I hit the deer in the rib cage with no expansion,though the 50 caliber hole would cause it to bleed out pretty fast I guess,but still expansion is good.Or was velocity to low at 130 yards for good expansion to occur.I'm thinking about going back to 240grain hornady's with a sabot but it doesn't shoot as accurate as the powerbelt's in my gun,any advice is appreciated.thanks.
The PB has over expansion problems (called fagmenting), when shot at high velocity. There are lots of folks that have fragmentation problems, you can find some of theme here:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/powerbelt_page.htm

If you go to Midway and Cabelas product reviews, you will also see some reality on the bullet. My recommendation based on shooting this bullet for 3 years and having issues (unrecoved deer)is to shoot a strong bullet thatshoots thru the deer:

1) Nosler Partition
2) Barnes MZ or TMZ or one of their rifle bullets with a .458 sabot
3) Speer Gold Dot
4) Bonded Shockwave

All these bullets hold togeter well at high speeds, expand and will penetrate bone into the vitals. One of these with the proper sabot will work in your gun. You may have to try a different sabot to get a good fit. That is no big deal though since you can buy different sabot pretty cheaply.
Best Wishes,
Chap Gleason
Old 02-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Typical Buck

There was no fragments when I dressed the deer it had very little damage at all actually,I had to kill it after I walked about ten minutes to get help and a four wheeler,I beleive the too fast theory,this deer looked like it had a half inch hole drilled through it much like the old ball and patch holes in a animal.I expected an awesome exit wound but there was barely any blood exiting the wound even after hitting the spine.I like the 150 grains of powder it will shot a lot tighter groups than a 100 grains load I may have to try a different bullet weight to try to find a accurate 100 grain loading.Thanks alot all of you for your input.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was no fragments when I dressed the deer it had very little damage at all actually,I had to kill it after I walked about ten minutes to get help and a four wheeler,I beleive the too fast theory,this deer looked like it had a half inch hole drilled through it much like the old ball and patch holes in a animal.I expected an awesome exit wound but there was barely any blood exiting the wound even after hitting the spine.I like the 150 grains of powder it will shot a lot tighter groups than a 100 grains load I may have to try a different bullet weight to try to find a accurate 100 grain loading.Thanks alot all of you for your input.
The bigger PBs are better, 348, 405 I believe are the weight. Chap
Old 02-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Seeing how you were 130 yards away, you shouldnt get any fragments. Usually this only happens when the deer are close. I know with 2 of the deer i shot with 120 and 150 grains, those were well over 140 yards and the bullets just blew right through them and didnt expand.

Lower your charge down to 100 grains, Use loose powder and hit them right behind the shoulder. Try not to hit them so high. Shot placement is the most important.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Typical Buck

YES I shot this deer high,but it was an offhanded,standing up shot at a 135 inch 10 point that I spotted as I came out of the woods,it was late muzzle loader season with a couple of days to hunt,so I decided to try to sneak up on him 300 yards out in the field,I crawled about 200 yards in the wet pasture,and when I got close enough I couldn't see him without standing straight up so that was all I had no rest in a open field,and my shooting sticks were to short,I had been hunting all season for a nice buck,so I decided to take a shot at him,I thought he was about 150yards or so and held a little to high,I figured the bullet would bust his shoulders if I could hit them and leave no tracking job,and I got lucky and spine shot him,he fell over on the spot,I didn't want to try a double lung afraid of accidentally hitting him to far back,I love shoulder shots to imobilize an animal and I would have given anything for a 5' tall shooting stick that evening to shoot off of,thanks I will slow my bullets down and try to aim better if such another chance arrives,I'm usually tagged out by then anyhow,we have a strict 1 buck limit here in KY and I usually score before mid-December muzzle loader season anyway,THANKS for all of your help.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

YES I shot this deer high,but it was an offhanded,standing up shot at a 135 inch 10 point that I spotted as I came out of the woods,it was late muzzle loader season with a couple of days to hunt,so I decided to try to sneak up on him 300 yards out in the field,I crawled about 200 yards in the wet pasture,and when I got close enough I couldn't see him without standing straight up so that was all I had no rest in a open field,and my shooting sticks were to short,I had been hunting all season for a nice buck,so I decided to take a shot at him,I thought he was about 150yards or so and held a little to high,I figured the bullet would bust his shoulders if I could hit them and leave no tracking job,and I got lucky and spine shot him,he fell over on the spot,I didn't want to try a double lung afraid of accidentally hitting him to far back,I love shoulder shots to imobilize an animal and I would have given anything for a 5' tall shooting stick that evening to shoot off of,thanks I will slow my bullets down and try to aim better if such another chance arrives,I'm usually tagged out by then anyhow,we have a strict 1 buck limit here in KY and I usually score before mid-December muzzle loader season anyway,THANKS for all of your help.
Here is the Trajectory chart for the bigger PBs with 150 yard zero. Note that the bullet is over 5" high at 75 yards, with the 100g load, which is NOT in the windows of MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range).
Chap

Quick Reply: powerbelt bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.