Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Hawken round ball question. >

T/C Hawken round ball question.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Hawken round ball question.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Hawken round ball question.

Hey, I have got a question. What can I expect for accuracy and knock down power shooting a round ball out of my T/C hawken. What would you guys recommend for a charge. I want to be able to shoot at around 100yds and still take down a Minnesota whitetail. Will that 1 in 48 twist work sufficiantly or will I need to go to a green mountain 1 in 70 twist ? Money is kinda tight but maybe can afford GM barrel by next fall if I absoluty have to. Thanks, Steve
Old 02-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Default RE: T/C Hawken round ball question.

Steviebiggun

I asume you are talking about a 50cal the .490 weighes 177gr with a .15 Patch and 80gr - of Pyro 3fg but if it were me with a 1/48 twist I would probb. shoot conicals like a 370gr TC mai ball OR even better a 385gr hornady GP BUT THAT IS JUST ME !!!

Ron
Old 02-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: steviebiggun

Hey, I have got a question. What can I expect for accuracy and knock down power shooting a round ball out of my T/C hawken. What would you guys recommend for a charge. I want to be able to shoot at around 100yds and still take down a Minnesota whitetail. Will that 1 in 48 twist work sufficiantly or will I need to go to a green mountain 1 in 70 twist ? Money is kinda tight but maybe can afford GM barrel by next fall if I absoluty have to. Thanks, Steve
Steve- do not underestimate the killing power of a roundball. I know you will hear and read a lot of horror stories about them not having enough energy, speed, what ever. Just remember, there are a LOT of dead deer out there from a roundball load. Some will also tell you that 100 yards is too far. Nonsense!! if you can place that ball it will do the job. The important thing is place the ball where it has to be, and wait for that broadside shot. Especially if the distances are getting long. While I have never shot 100 yards with a roundball, I watched a friend knock a Wisconsin White Tail flat at over 100 yards with a simple roundball. Of course I will say, closer is better.

The T/C Hawkins can and will shoot a stiff load very well with the 1-48 twist. Mine shoots 90 grains of Goex 3f (since it is a flintlock) and a .490 patched roundball with some amazing accuracy. I personally never have to shoot more then 75 yards at the very max where I hunt. I guess if I sat on the edge of the hay field I could shoot out to 200 yards, but I would never attempt anything like that with a roundball. Even a good sabot round would make me think hard, at those kind of distances.

Start your testing out with 80 grains and work up from there. What kind of powder are you going to be shooting? Pyrodex RS, while dirty and corrosive is a great roundball powder. It really will lay them down range with consistent accuracy. Triple Se7en is another great powder but a little hotter. Sometimes you need a wad between the powder and ball when shooting T-7.

The main thing is work up as powerful and as accurate a load as possible. Then practice at the kind of distances you will have to shoot. If you can place your ball at those distances, and a good broadside shot comes along, let it go. You might have to track a little as they do not always drop in their tracks, but that is true no matter what we shoot. The main thing is shot placement with a roundball. So get accurate, and then shoot for the high percentage shots. Your Minnesota White Tails should be in real danger. With good shooting skills and a good load, you can expect 5 inch groups and under at 100 yards. Some days you will shoot much better then that. But on average, I consider 4-5 inches with a roundball at 100 yards a normal day. I once shot three that touched. Then had to get smart and shot a fourth. But we will not remember that one....

Also with the 1-48 twist you can try some conicals and sabots out of the rifle. It might surprise you.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

But Ron, I would like to stay with a round ball, so are you saying that the 48 twist probably would not work out the best at 100ys ? If it were you would you move up to a 32" GM barrel 1 in 70 twist. I really want to stay with the round ball idea. thanks again.

Steve
ORIGINAL: Indiana SmokePole

Steviebiggun

I asume you are talking about a 50cal the .490 weighes 177gr with a .15 Patch and 80gr - of Pyro 3fg but if it were me with a 1/48 twist I would probb. shoot conicals like a 370gr TC mai ball OR even better a 385gr hornady GP BUT THAT IS JUST ME !!!

Ron
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

i shoot the same load as cayugad...90gr 3fg and a patch and ball...groups are like he said, every bit of amazing to me...(50 cal flinter as well)

every day after hunting we go back to the farm and throw popcans 25yds away on the fence post...i got a 100% kill record thus far!!!

took 2 groundhogs and 1 deer with that load...

Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM

NO Not at all the 1/48 Will shoot the RB gust fine I have shot The RB out of That kind if twist with good Accuracy and the RB will most Deff. kill out to 100 yds AS long as it is placed very well Broad side shot But I like the Down range Energy of the Conical a hole lot better just incase I don't get that perfict BS shot . I like shooting the big lead Conicals out of my Inlines also and I'm not saying a Conical is better than a saboted bullet eather But they Shoot Great Have plenty of down range Energy Easy to load And are alot Cheeper than a saboted Bullet I feel very compfertable shooting a deer up to 125 - 150 yds with any of the conicals or saboted bullet.
And a RB will kill out to 100 yds But shooting RB I would feel more Comfertable taking a 75yd or less Shot on a deer sized animal. But you have to shoot what you feel comfertable with and at the range you feel good with !!! I just think if you want to use a RB you would be better off with a 54cal but like I said THAT IS JUST ME.

Ron
Old 02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a 1-70 twist Green Mountain Barrel in .58 caliber. I shoot 110 grains of powder and a patched .570 ball. Without question that rifle is good shooting. I can normally shoot a three inch group at 100 yards with it. Then somedays it will do even better and some days we do not like to discuss, but it does average a little better then the 1-48 twist. Still, do not sell that T/C barrel short. They are good shooters. It should do you just fine. Like I said, the T/C barrels I own do like powder and can take a big powder charge. If you ever do go to a green mountian barrel and still are a roundball shooter, then go to at least the .54 caliber. That roundball is deadly on about anything you want to shoot. There is nothing wrong with wanting to stick to round ball loads. I did for many years.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:40 PM

HAY Dave

Got the White Today Sweeeet !!!

Ron
Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used a PRB for hunting a lot more years than an inline, a rule of thumb for you,
45 cal to 75 yds
50 cal to 100yds
54 cal to 150 yds
use around half the ball weight in powder.
Of course you still have to have a tight lubed patch and work out the exact load according to the harmonics of that particular barrel.
My 50cal TC hawken uses 110gr RS a 495 ball and a bore butter lubed patch and has taken several deer at right around 100yds and groups 3 inches with iron sights, but in all truth I much prefer the 54 cals of which I have several and have taken over 25 deer at all ranges from 10 yds to 180yds, the 54 tends to use more powder 12 is the commens load in my guns. The inlines are just the newest toy but in all truth at least for me I have never gotten a deer with them that I could not have gotten just as well with PRB, I just like how easy they are to clean and that extra range capability that I may never actually us for hunting. Lee
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Lemoyne the book I got with my .50 hawken say the max load is 70 gr. of pyrodex RS with a rb. Can I safely shoot more than the recommended max load?

Thanks,

Die Hard

Quick Reply: T/C Hawken round ball question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.