Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Long Long winter

Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Long Long winter

It sure seem like this winter will never end I have all my casting done. I have guns cleaned several times. Range is snowed in, wood pile is going down fast. I guess it is time to bring in the tackle boxes and go through baits and sharpen hooks. I have reels to clean also. My muzzleloader's shine if I clean them again I will have to re blue. Wind chill today was -25 and the wind put a 4 foot by 30 ft long drift in front of the garage. It is time to end winter. CABIN FEVER BAD
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long Long winter

I feel ya, I was going to start casting some yesterday and the wind was kicked up right after I got started. we have been in a red flag since yesterday starting at 7 pm, wild fires no more then 5 miles from me. and I can't cast in doors. I may go on and cast in the kitchen with the vents going.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man, I feel for 'ya JM. I had a nice range session yesterday afternoon, and again this morning. Temperature in the high 60's, cloudless blue sky, very light breeze. Shot my flintlock for the first time - I'll post a report when I finish this reply.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 65 today with a slight NE breeze. Just enough for a long sleeved shirt. I chose flannel.
Did some yard work, cut back the oleander bushes and trimmed the Myrtle. My wife planted a Carolina Jasmine close to the fence so it'll climb,and trimmed her roses.
Sorry about your weather.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 PM

Its not to bad here..Temp is 6 degees and the wind chill
around 20 below...Warm inside by the stove...Thinking about taking the
boat out tomorrow... I just remembered I left the batteries
in the boat..Probably wouldn't start anyway....If my new Lee pot gets
here,I plan on casting some bullets up...I can't combine in this weather.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd hate to guess the wind chill here in the middle of the National Forest. A neighbor said it must really be cold... he saw Smokey the Bear running around the woods begging someone to start a fire. Everything here is kind of stopped. Too cold to run equipment outside, without causing damage to it. To cold to play outside. I did not even take the dog for a walk today. He went out, did his business and came right back to the house. That is rare for my dog as he loves snow and cold.

I sat around the house today doing very little. I have my guns all ready to go, but do not want to fight the wind and cold to be on the range. Tomorrow is not supposed to be any better. This morning we had -20º below with very strong winds. Looking outside you would have thought it was snowing sideways. It was just the wind drifting the snow. Then it warmed up to about -15º by noon. I think actually it kept warming and is now only about -10º.

We have not had a rip snorting winter like this in many years. I guess we are due for one. So I will just sit it out and shoot when I can and do the rest of the stuff around the house til spring.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Semi
I think i will load up the muzzleloaders and the Big Tent pick up dave and move in your backyard until spring. I am realy hating this weather
Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 PM

Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Some guyes Just know were to stick in the knife and turn it
Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

We get them throught the ice like that if you can stand the wind

Quick Reply: Long Long winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.