Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help me remember

Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help me remember

209 cap is recommended with T7 pellets but with T7 loose a musket cap should be ok. right? In other words T7 loose ignites easier than T7 pellets. Or do I have it backwards?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Default RE: Help me remember

You are Corect loose powder easyer !
Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

people are under the impression that Triple Se7en 2f powder is hard to ignite. That is not true. I fire it off very often with simple #11 caps. Pellets of any brand,do require 209 primers but with loose powder, a musket cap or #11 cap would work just fine. As with any rifle, just make sure the rifle is prepared properly and the fire channel is clear.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Cool, Thanks

Has anybody ever tried it in a sidelock?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nolehoe

209 cap is recommended with T7 pellets but with T7 loose a musket cap should be ok. right? In other words T7 loose ignites easier than T7 pellets. Or do I have it backwards?
You are basically correct. But! T7 weather it be pellet or loose requires a fairly high ignition temperature. The best way to insure ignition is with a 209 for either loose or pellet. And of course the vari-flame and 25 acp fit in there.

When you are talking percussion caps you meed to be somewhat careful. It has long been held that the "musket cap" is hotter in temp than a #11 cap and that is correct - but it is not hotter than than a #11 Mag cap. The one thing the "musket cap" will co better than both #11's is it will burn longer. Probably the best cap on the market is the Dyamit Nobel 1075+ cap from Germany. That is my choice and the choice of several others when igniting T7.

One other thing I would like to mention, if you are shooting loose T7 and you are shooting it in the cold - freezing temps you might be better off to move to T7-3f. We have found up here hunting in the cold, near freezing and below, it even becomes more difficult to ignite 2f so in our sidelocks we have made the switch to 3f. The cold metal of the breech and the barrel suck up a lot of heat when you have been out hunting all day in the cold and need a good ignition from a cap. One of the things Shockey does to help this in Canada he wraps a hand warmer around his breech.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Nolehoe

Cool, Thanks

Has anybody ever tried it in a sidelock?
I shoot it in sidelocks all the time and in all temperatures. I have yet to have an ignition problem using CCI Magnum #11 caps or Dynamite Noble RWS 1075 caps. Now most my shooting is done on the range where I am not standing out in the weather for hours before having to shoot...

If you use standard CCI caps you can have problems but with those caps you can have problems no matter what powder you are shooting. I normally shoot a lot of 3f T-7 but that's because I shoot it in inlines for conicals. I have a .54 caliber roundball rifle and with 80 grains of T-7 2f and a patched ball, that thing is scary accurate. Any other powder it does not do as well, but with that load it will reallydo some shooting.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:32 AM

triple 7 works very well in a sidelock with #11 or musket. A good nipple with a coned base i like the best. I just dont find triple 7 to be as dependable as pyrodex, T7 just isnt consistant enough for me to use.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a .54 caliber roundball rifle and with 80 grains of T-7 2f and a patched ball, that thing is scary accurate.
Hey cayugad, don't you knowthat you can't use T-7 under a PRB because it will burn up the patch? Well, I've seen that statement in many forums anyway. Never tried it under a PRB myself. Do you use a wad or buffer with that load?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

For me in my very limited experiance.... T7 did burn the patches or at least most of the patches. I was shooting 90grains of T7-3f in a 54 cal without a wad. Since that experiance I have not been out for the second episode as of yet. So needless to say I have not come close to mastering the shooting of PRB's yet.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been using Pyrodex RS in my .58 Zouave with PRBs. Might have to try some T-7 just to see what it does.

Quick Reply: Help me remember

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.