Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet/sabot ?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default bullet/sabot ?

I've got a .45 cal cva staghorn and have shot 4 or 5 deer with it in the past 3 or 4 years. I've been shooting 2 50gr pellets and 225 gr.powerbelts. I switched to 95 gr. loose powder this year and liked the results. I'd like to try a different bullet. Performance has been OK but not spectacular. I'd also likefind something cheaper than the powerbelts.

My question is can I use 45 cal sabot's and just pick up some xtps or a similar handgun hunting bullet? Do most use 10mm or .410?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 AM

Default RE: bullet/sabot ?

drop it down to 80 and the performance will be A LOT better!

For hunting, the bullet prices dont hurt. But for target shooting,yeah it'll chew up your rearend.

Heres some testing i did with an assortment of powder charges. 90 grains failed. 100 grains was ok but was weak in the center.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try a Harvestor Sabortooth, very good for up to 150 yds. Lee
Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM

dont think they make the sabertooth in .45cal I could only find 50cal
Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

okgobbler

I am not much on 45 cal but ML's but I can tell you this... the Hornady 10mm 200grain XTP is a tremendous bullet. You can get the tan MMP sabot for this and you would be miles ahead of your PB (more velocity more enery and a ++ accuracy rating). I am shooting this bullet from a 50 with 110 grains of T7-2f (2100 fps) - it is devastating and accurate. It is also a tough bullet I have not been able to strip the lead from the copper in my tortue tests as I have most any other Hornady bullet. In Idaho we can not hunt (big game) with a bullet less than .428 so I personally have not use it on big game, but Lemoyne on this forum has shot deer and wild pigs with it. He is a beleiver.

Send him a PM
Old 02-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can pick up MMP or Harvestor sabots (.45/.40) at Cabelas, or a lot of other shooting supply places. Get a 100 round box of 10mm 200 grain hornady XTP's from Midway shooting supplies or another place. Put the two together with 80 - 100 grains of 777 or Pyrodex, and you'll have a very effective deer combo out to 150+ yards. You'll also save a ton of $$$ compared to buying Powerbelts.

I've used this load/combo for the past 2 years - 2 deer, 2 boom-flops. Very happy with it.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:32 PM

I have 2 .45cal Disc Extremes and I shoot the Harvester Blue Crush Rib Sabot and the Hornady .40cal 10mm 200gr XTP with 80gr of loose 2fg 777 and I can tell you that I am getting .5" & .75" shot groups at 80yds with this load never hunted with it yet but can't waite I have seen deer shot with the 200gr XTP out of .50 cal and the damage was AWSOME looking.

Ron
Old 02-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Indiana SmokePole

I know this does not count.. but you ought to see a ground squirrel that is shot with a 200 grain XTP even out to 100 yards. Well actually you do not see much of anything attached to anything - they are devastating.

It is a good bullet - I actually like it better than the 200 grain SW... I would say if I could I would hunt with the XTP but I am not so sure that I would hunt with the SW
Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

okgobbler

I am not much on 45 cal but ML's but I can tell you this... the Hornady 10mm 200grain XTP is a tremendous bullet. You can get the tan MMP sabot for this and you would be miles ahead of your PB (more velocity more enery and a ++ accuracy rating). I am shooting this bullet from a 50 with 110 grains of T7-2f (2100 fps) - it is devastating and accurate. It is also a tough bullet I have not been able to strip the lead from the copper in my tortue tests as I have most any other Hornady bullet. In Idaho we can not hunt (big game) with a bullet less than .428 so I personally have not use it on big game, but Lemoyne on this forum has shot deer and wild pigs with it. He is a beleiver.

Send him a PM
I second this. I use this bullet for coyote and turkey-though I would not hesitate to use it on deer sized game. I just choose not to as I like 300+ grainers for Deer. The 10mm 200g XTP holds up very well and you can push them really hard if you so choose. Sabotloder's 110g T7 2f is the same load I use for coyote and it performs beautifully. I hope to do some pig huntin' w/this load next year.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okgobbler

I've got a .45 cal cva staghorn and have shot 4 or 5 deer with it in the past 3 or 4 years. I've been shooting 2 50gr pellets and 225 gr.powerbelts. I switched to 95 gr. loose powder this year and liked the results. I'd like to try a different bullet. Performance has been OK but not spectacular. I'd also likefind something cheaper than the powerbelts.

My question is can I use 45 cal sabot's and just pick up some xtps or a similar handgun hunting bullet? Do most use 10mm or .410?
You could shoot these Speer Gold Dots with the blue Crushed Rib sabot:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000214406

This is a hand gun bullet. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: bullet/sabot ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.