Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Your long range ML loads? >

Your long range ML loads?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Your long range ML loads?

Old 02-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Your long range ML loads?

I have been hearing that the 250grainers seemingly are preferred for the longer range shooting, over 200yds with a .50 cal. Anyone beg to differ, or have a good pet load they are willing to share?

Dan
Old 02-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your long range ML loads?

I don't get long range shots around here,but there was a fellow in Alberta that used to post a lot.His wife dropped a deer at 308 yds with a 200gr SST pellets of Pyro

Charlie
Old 02-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

eatsleephunt

Not sure what you consider 'long range' but I consider 200 yards my 'stop and think about it' range... I will shoot a regular 250/60 grain bullet to 180 yards and really not think much about. 300 grain bullets will hold more velocity and energy out beyond, but if you look at the 200 grain bullets they will match or even be slightly better than the 300's - the only problem as I see it is the external effects in flight on a light 200 grain bullets is greater than the heavier 250/300 grain bullets. Velocity of the lighter bullets will also over-ride some of the external effects...

IMO
Old 02-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

300 gr bullets are better for long range shooting because of the better ballistic coeffecient of the heavier bullets, for instance a 300g sst(bc of .250)launched at 2000fps hits only ONE INCH LOWER at 300yds than a 250gsst (bc of .210)launched at 2100fps. Yeah, I know thats a little lower with the slower heavier bullet, but the wind drift is what you need to worry about long range ML'ing. You get 4" less wind drift with a heavier bullet in 10mph crosswind. Thats not all, a 250g bullet only has 780 ft/lbs energy left at 300 yds when lauched at 2100 fps(very hot bp load). The 300g bullet retains over 1000 ft/lbs energy at the same range. The differences can be greater than that with a premium bullet such as the barnes original semi spitzer 300g(bc of .290). Past 200 yds with a Ml, knowing the absolute range and wind is critical to good shot placement, better take a good rangefinder.

You also have to put alot of range time to figure your shots, I'm cheating(using a savage w/ ballistic recticle scope), so I can get higher velocities(2150-2300fps with 300g) and it still takes alot of practice to get good at long shots. I'm good to 300, but still trying to get good enough to make a 350 yd shot(everytime). Its alot harder to get that 50 yds than you might think and keep them all in a 5" circle.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:26 PM

For targets i like to use 80 grains pyrodex p with a 225 grain powerbelt. I shoot a .45 when i go for deer. But this is just for target fun, 200 yards with open sights is nuts and a very small target.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Okay Hoss,

I agree with having the better ballistic coeficient, energy retention, resistance to wind drift, and probably slightly better or say more consistent accuracy also. I also don't mind the extra inch drop. An inch is negligible as far as I'm concerned.

So, lets talk about style of bullets. Is a hollowpoint inherently more accurate than say a ballistic tip? Hollowpoints seem to be the rage with competitive rifle shooters. What is the most accurate bullet design in 300 grains that is a "good" hunting bullet.

Then, if keep my interest in longer range shooting in mind, what powder and charge weights would you recommend? (.50 cal)
Old 02-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

300g barnes original ss is the best I've found, its a .458 bullet instead of the more common .452 bullets(sst/sw/xtp/most everything) They fit my bore with a black crush rib, but orange mmp's are another alternative. They are expensive, about a buck a piece, but they are absolutley worth it if your trying to push the envelope of what a ML can do. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=635838&t=11082005

ps, they are a little hard to find, but worth it. Some guys have had good luck with the parker ballistic extremes, too.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

As far your powder, all you can pour in there, and it still shoot straight. I never could go over 120g 777 back when I had my knight, or things would open up in a hurry. Rifles are different so you have shoot and see what you can get by with, rifles that actually shoot well with 150g powder are few and far between(as in I've never ever seen one).
Old 02-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

What does orange mmp stand for, and I assume by black crush rib you mean a sabot shroud? Not sure, see I don't know very much about this.

Dan

Allright, I'm looking in the Cabelas catalog and I'm seeing the mmp ballistic bridge sub base sabot, and what appears to be an orange one called "dead center"sabots. I also see TCshockwaves, barnes MZ's, Hornady sst, etc. So you feel the MMP's and perhaps the Barnes are the best?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:21 PM

The orange MMP sabot is for a .458 Bullet.

Quick Reply: Your long range ML loads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.