Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Homemade Chronograph Protector and holder >

Homemade Chronograph Protector and holder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Homemade Chronograph Protector and holder

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Homemade Chronograph Protector and holder

Made this Sunday from scrap wood to protect my chronograph. Worked great. It also is easy to line up. Couple of screw to hold it or you could clamp it.Put your Chronograph in the box at the end andthe scree is protected from muzzleblast and sabots. Also you dont need a tripod that you have to line up. with the barrel. I should have left the chronograph in it when I took the picture.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 AM

Default RE: Homemade Chronograph Protector and holder

Not sure what I'm looking at or for here...
Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Hmmmm
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does the pieceat the end hold the chrono unit itself?How would it protect the unit?

I usually place my unit about 12' to 15' from the muzzleblast.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea you have going there. The only questions I have are if you use the sky screens or not? I guess that would depend on how cloudy it is. Also, have you had trouble with false readings due to being so close to the muzzle? With muzzleloaders the smoke as well aspatch or sabot can cause a false reading as it seperates from the bullet and the closer it is to the muzzle the more it can cause a false reading. Just wondering if you 've experienced any of those problems with this setup?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:54 AM

I havent had any problems yet untill dusk (no light). I didn't have to use the sky screens yet even though it was mostly clear on Sunday. Because the Chronograph sits below the horz board I think the blast and everthig goes over the top of it. I might wind up putting a piece of plexiglass over the top. I have put clear tape over the sensors when it was on a tripod, but Sunday the chronograph stayed pretty clean even with 150 gr charges. I'll try to take a picture tonight with the chronograph in it. That should clear it up better.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Bowbender-

I got it now..Slow today...I guess with out the Chrony in it
It was cornfusing...Correct me if i'm wrong,but I think my
chrony said to be sure you were al least 12 feet from the muzzle
to get accurate readings..I have not used mine in a long time..

But I do know that my reading's were more consistence at the
12 foot thay said to use...

Maybe it depends on how new it is or whatever..[]
Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Mine didn't say. I think someone here said they put theirs six feet. I am afraid that the sabot would hit it they break off from the bullet fairly quickly. Mine got hit by something a week ago and one segment in the first digit quit working. Thats why I buit this
Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabot hits can be a problem. I had a sabot from a 200 Shockwave drop into the top of mine and impact the far sensor housing, it knocked a hole into the plastic housing but the sensor still worked (after I removed the peice that landed on top of the internal sensor. When working with it up close, watch for consistency of readings and errors that indicate a false reading. These could be caused by muzzle blast, smoke, separating sabots crossing the first sensor before the bullet gets past the second sensor and probably a few other issues I can't think of right now. Most of the time I place mine out about 5 yards to minimize those problems. I have seen erratic readings with hi power rifles with it around 2 to 3 yards out, once I clocked my 7mm at 5000+ fps with a 140gr bullet, that load usually is only going 3350 so I knew something was wrong. I backed the chrono off to 5 yards and things started reading normal again. Let us know how it is working for you, who knows maybe it will work out OK.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 PM

This pic might help. I did not have to use the screens. You could put something clear over the top but there wasn't much residue for me. The gun barrel is about 3 feet from the first sensor. I had no problems with reading until dusk, You could make the board longer. Mine is about 8 ft overall.

Quick Reply: Homemade Chronograph Protector and holder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.