Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ultimate muzzleloader >

Ultimate muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ultimate muzzleloader

Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Default RE: Ultimate muzzleloader

Mike, when I get some time I will e-mail you eith the info. Thanks for the interest. Donn
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Rafsob is right... they are pricey, especially with todays economy... I live near Flint, Mi. Things are very bad in this part of the woods. Wish I had a trillion dollars to get the economy on track...oops, I'm getting political.
The gun is expensive due to expensive parts. I guess there is no way around that. Notto offend anybody, but I think you get what you pay for, generally. Plus, this gun really is in a league of its own for long range shooting. I have laughed out loud when these TV guys pass up huge bucks at 250-300 yards because theyare shooting Encores, which are pretty nice guns in their own right. Give me a poke at them!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 AM

i just went and looked at them. thats asclose as i will get to that iron. to much money for me. but i sure would like to have one.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like anice gun but I'm in the same boat as most-to spendy for me.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

So are they really heavy guns, or do they kick like mules or both?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM

They are heavy, about 10 pounds,which helps witht recoil reduction. They are now making a mountain rifle, lots of graphite or carbon fiber, I guess and I was told it really doesn't have a lot of recoil considering its light weight.
I don't understand how that could be, but I trust the guy who told me. I held one about a year ago, but lost alot of interest in about 3 seconds after I heard the price. Seems like it was well over $3000. Way too rich for my gene pool! The model I have was a stretch for me. I guess its all about priorities. Lots of shotgunners pay way more than that for their scatterguns. The way I look at it, it replaces my deer slug guns as well as my other muzzleloaders, and I end up with what I think is the best ML out there. Sort of simplifies my life.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am by no means knocking a product that I have no experience with. I do have experience with T7. IMO T7 is temperature sensitive, and also very sensitive to moisture. The problem I see is getting consistent ignition and especially consistent pressure from T7 pellets. Your bullet seating would also have to be perfect every time to achieve such results. As I said I do not doubt it, I just question it. IMO the POI would change due to climate shooting conditions. Again that is just my opinion. But I know for sure that climate shooting conditions will affect POI with a 130 grain load, so how could a 200 grain load be more consistent?? Tom.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Hi Tom,
you are right on the money about the varying POI's. I have found (and so have my buddies) that some days, especially warm, humid days... we can"t beg, borrow, or steal a tight group. I only shoot Pyrodex, and for consistant shooting it has to be fresh, naturally, because as you correctly implied, the powder is hygroscopic. For consistant seating, I usually use a Pack-jack which controls the downward pressure (sort of like a torque wrench for downward pressure). It simply slides over the end of your range rod.
Now let me ask you a question....which would be affected more by a given amount of humidity, a small amount of powder getting slightly damp, or a large amount of powder getting slightly damp? Obviously the small amount would be affected to a greater extent, having a greater effect on consistancy. And believe me, even the larger charge is quite affected. I don't think any ML can always be a tack driver all the time. Bummer!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM

Tom,
I just thought of another analogy. (I'm a bit slow...)
Ever throw a small amount of wet wood on a big, roaring fire? Hardly affects the fire.
Now do the same to a small campfire. It affects it more. Kind of like the big powder charge with the big magnum rifle primer. Just a thought. Donn
Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not quite agree with your analogy. Velocity is directly proportional to pressure. And pressure is basically Volume X Mass(powder). IMO it is harder to regulate larger Volume and larger Mass(powder).

Again IMO it is easy to regulate a small amount of powder. Go to a BP Silhouette shoot. Normally the fellow with the most accurate rifle is normally shooting the smaller charge. With 4 T7 pellets the mass and volume is great. So a variation of pressure is IMO more likely to occur. Again, just my opinion. Tom.

Quick Reply: Ultimate muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.