Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thinking about a .45, any ideas? >

Thinking about a .45, any ideas?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thinking about a .45, any ideas?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 AM

Default Thinking about a .45, any ideas?

Seeing that I am now shooting Prbullet Duplex dead Center .357 175 gr out of my Omega I was think about getting a .45 and eliminating the double sabot. Or shooting 200 gr shockwave. I want to go flat shooting as possible –maybe out to 200 yrd. I was looking at a Knight Wolverine .45 SS 29” w/ thumbhole for $260 or an Optima Pro .45 SS 29” thumbhole I think around $230. Anybody have one of these or how they shoot. My Omega shoots about 2” at 100yrd with the light bullets. Or if you have another idea ley me know. Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM

Default RE: Thinking about a .45, any ideas?

its not an inline,wont shoot sabots due to the twist but the Deer Creek Northwest rifle in .45 is one hell of a powerbelt shooter. Its a traditional sidelock with a 32" Douglas barrel and mine will shoot the heck out the PRB's, Powerbelts, great plains conicals. I use 80 grains pyrodex P,225 grain powerbelt and am only 4" low @ 150 yards. Holds 2" groups @ 150 and 4" groups @ 200 yards.

deer creek/765-525-6181
Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I should not be one to talk I have been getting a new gun every year including this one.
But there are some new developements in the wind,it might be a good idea to hold off and just look untill about July. Lee
Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Unfortunately for the .45 inline, with the popularity of the .50inline and associated wide variety of loads available, the .45 inline is somewhat past vogue and becoming more and more difficult to find redily. But you can find them.

I would stick with the Knight Wolverine, DISCor can also find a T/C Black Diamond XR45, Omega in .45 or and Encore in .45.

Tahquamenon

Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM

That is a great price on the Knight Wol. I have a .45cal Knight disc that I converted to a Extreme I am shooting a 200gr XTP and a Harvester Blue crush rib sabot with 85gr 2fg loose 777 and it will drive tacks at 100 - 140yds that is the farthest I have shot it.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 AM

Hay Lemoyne How are you feeling was thinking about you yesterday !
Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

If I wanted long range flat shooting and had a .50 caliber Omega currently, I would be shooting a blue MMP sabot with a 200 grain Shockwave. If the shots were a little closer, perhaps a 10mm 200 grain XTP. I think for deer it would work just fine.

Also a lot of people are under the impression that in order to shoot to 200 yards, they need a flat shooting light weight projectile. That is just not true. Even a 250 or 300 grain will shoot that far and have a lot of energy to support a good hard hit. A difference in a couple hundred FPS is not the end of the world. Especially for those that shoot with a scope. I never could understand the need for a flat shooting bullet when I have a scoped rifle. If I am sighted in for that distance and know the bullet drop... what's the difference? I will still put a hole in it at that distance, and with the heavier bullet have more energy on it, when it gets there.

Now I am not going to talk anyone out of a new rifle. I think a person needs to treat themselves every once in a while. And the Wolverine is a true workhorse of a rifle. It should be a good rifle to own. I just stay away from the .45 caliber all together. I have enough of the other ones to play with.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

Also a lot of people are under the impression that in order to shoot to 200 yards, they need a flat shooting light weight projectile. That is just not true. Even a 250 or 300 grain will shoot that far and have a lot of energy to support a good hard hit. A difference in a couple hundred FPS is not the end of the world. Especially for those that shoot with a scope.
I have to agree with Dave here, I shoot 260/300 grain bullets to 200 (on paper thus far) and I have no worry about them getting there. My longest shot on an animal has been 180 yards with a 260 grain Nosler... I DO think time in flight is a big deal so that is one thing that I do look at. But if you are shooting a ML you are shooting a rainbow bullet period as compared to a centerfire.

I still the biggest problem shooting long distance with a ML is the varibles that the bullet enconters after it leaves the barrel especially the X-winds the bullet might encounter along the way and that may vary also. Because of the physical size of the ML bullet drift is a major factor factory for me.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Knight 45cal SS Disc Elite

PM me
Old 01-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Indiana SmokePole, Getting better went out to a tool show today.
Does anyone have anything to say about the quality of a Cummings 12 lathe. Priced at 400?
Lee

Quick Reply: Thinking about a .45, any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.