Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How filthy?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Default RE: How filthy?

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Seems to me a spin jag would be the better of the two, since it will follow the rifling quite easily. Saves trying to let the rod rotate with the rifling.
I like the spin jag for both cleaning and loading. It keeps the spit patch from getting jammed in the barrel while shooting. It keeps the cleaning patches in better shape as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How filthy?

I'd save the $ on a gunsmith if the bore looks alright.

My first step would not be reaching for the polishing compound.

I alsothink you are using too many different lubing and cleaning products in a succession that may be countering getting the bore cleaned.

I've used the following process after shooting orforan ML with a neglected bore for many, manyyears:
1) Boiling hot water (2-4 quarts) with a tablespoon or twoof laundry soap will remove any powder fowling. Pump-flush withpatchs on a cleaning jag or can with a brush/patch from the breechwith the muzzle in a bucket until the barrel get's hot (use a glove or a towel) as should get very hot. Keep doing this until it's clean. Really should only take about 5-10 minutes or so but you may need to repeat.

2) Then while the barrel is hot run an alcohol and/or butch's bore shine (not the BP version) patchfollowed by a dry patch or two. Take a close look at the bore. Should be clean, if needed repeat the above hot water process then #2. Butch's Bore Shine will remove any copper/lead/plastic/fouling,

3)When satisfied that the bore is clean. Protect with a quality lube such as Clenzoil, Otis Ultra Bore or Birchwood/Casey Barricade (formerly Sheath). You may notice that with the lube in the bore it may draw additional fouling from thebore over time. Not to worry, just clean as normal.

If the bore still has some rough areas from pitting, then I would use JB Paste lightly in successive steps so to not over-polish the bore.

Prior to shooting: Remove any lube from the bore with Butch's Bore Shine Patchs, Alcohol patches and dry patches.

After shooting: The above and then a quality firearm lube.

M2C,

Tahquamenon