Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Where can I get a 32 >

Where can I get a 32

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where can I get a 32

Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where can I get a 32

I recommend a .36 because the largerballs are easier to handle and it provides a little more power and fun factor. It's like shooting a .22 magnum instead of a .22 LR. Plus you can just about shoot it all daywithlight 777powder loads.

Here's a discontinued but economical .36 Bobcatthat you would be lucky to find still being available for salesince CVA has stopped making them.

http://www.possibleshop.com/cva-rifles.htm

Or try calling Deer Creek Products, Waldron, Indiana at 765-525-6181. They bought all of the remaining CVA inventory and also sell Traditions guns and kits, andjust may have an economically priced.32 Deerhunter, CVA squirrel rifle or similiar models in kit form.

Good luck and let us know what you get.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, were I interested in a small caliber ML the smallest caliber I would go is .36

For me I small game with a .45

Tahquamenon
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

I you small game with a 45, coouldnt I shoot like a 200 grain shockwave outta my gun, it is a 50cal. but the 200 grain shockwave is very small in diameter. If so how much powder would you put, prolly just shoot rabbits and coons and stuff.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Well, you need to test it for accuracy at the distance that you expect to be shooting game at. If you plan on shooting out to 50 yards, then you start out with alighter load of about 50 grains and work your way up in 5 or 10 grain increments until you have established that each shot can hit a target (like a paper plate) everytime.
Saboted bullets sometimes like more powder for good accuracy, but maybe they will work okaywith 50 or 60 grains.
Or else you might try loading a 133 grain.45 caliber round ball into the sabot and giving that a try.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Sure I also hunt small game .45, 50 and once in awhile a .54 butmostly Iuse a PRB with a relatively light powder charge. Sometimes I'll squirrel or rabbit with an inline and a 240gr XTP and a light powder charge.

Powder charges depend on the powder type. Always less than 60gr with either 2fg or 3fg loose powder. As mentioned use a 5gr increment measure. Simply need to start out low, shorten your range to say 50 yards and find the load that prints the best.

You can absolutely work up a niftly light 40-50 yard accurate inline load with PRB. Use a wad and don't push them fast and you will be surprised as to the accuracy.

Also, Ionly go for head shots as the larger calibers tend to really ruin the meat on small game.

As far as the 200gr shockwave, sure you could on small game I suppose but don't push them too fast otherwise your game will basically disinigrate upon impact. Unless you are varmint shooting in which case let's the bombs drop.

M2C,

Tahquamenon
Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Used to hunt squirrels withtwo very oldsmall caliber muzzleloaders. It was neat to hunt with them but both are heavy, hard to load and harder to clean. Found out that my CVA Staghorn is more accurate than either of them:i now hunt squirrels and rabbits with a 240 grain XTP and 70grains of Pyrodex RS. It will smacksquirrels in their headsevery time out to 50 yards: Rabbits a little farther. There is another benefit in using a .50 for small game: If a pig shows up at close range he becomes pork.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Here in Michigan if porky pig shows up, chances are I have wandered on to Ole MacDonalds farm.

Thanks alot for bringing up pork.

Now I'm thinking about pork in the smoker! Looks like it's ribs this weekend!