Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullet Weight vs, Kick? >

Bullet Weight vs, Kick?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet Weight vs, Kick?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bullet Weight vs, Kick?

I'm currently shooting 240 XTPs through my N.F. Beartooth Magnum/CVA Wolf 209. I chose this gun for hunting whitetails because it was one of the lighter (6 1/2lbs.) and shorter guns I could find, which makes it easier to carry through the thick stuff I sometimes hunt. I like the way this round patterns, but like many, I feel that it doesn't retain much weight through a shoulder, so pass throughs have been an issue. I want to give the Speer Gold Dots a try in 250 or 300 or maybe just jump up to the 300 XTPs. My concern is how much added kick will an extra 50 grains add with a similar powder charge? I'm just making sure that I reduce my chances of falling victim to "scope eye" with such a light gun. I currently shoot 100 grains of loose T7. I know that if the gun is held correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about that, but let's face it, that's not always possible in hunting situations.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 AM

Default RE: Bullet Weight vs, Kick?

Mike

jumping from 240gr to 300gr you may notice a little more kick on the bench but as far as hunting you will not even pay any attention to it , The Speer Gold Dots are a Awsome bullet sence they are a bonded bullet 240gr or 250gr will get you to were you want to be as well also with the 240gr XTP Mag
Old 01-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CVA Wolf and shoot the solid copper 300gr Barnes Expander MZ's with 100gr Pyrodex pellets. I never felt a thing when I pulled the trigger on the two deer I harvested this fall
Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

MichaelH, First off if you dont know the exact correct way to check the length of the trigger pull againt your arm then get some help, this not only affects recoil as in scope eye but your accuracy ,especally off hand; it sounds like you feel its coming close. If you are over 5' 10" then the standard length is short, assuming normal arm length,a spacer or to added between the buttplate and stock will help big time.
The bullets; we are talking 3 different designs of bullet here; the one you want for pass through in all circumstances is the 300gr Gold Dot; I personally use the 250gr Gold Dot for deer exactly place it will drop them on the spot and thats what I want, I use the 300gr for bigger game it opens a bit slower and penatrates much deeper. The all copper bullets and the 300gr SW are also good choices for max penatration.
Recoil assuming correct lenght of trigger pull you will be able to tell the differance as it will kick a bit more, but every thing being correct it wont be a problem. Lee
Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 AM

Just an idea for you to kick around..Perhaps a scope with a
longer eye relief would make you feel better..If your worried
about getting hit with the scope your accuracy will fail...
Like I said-just a thought
Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nah!! Don't worry about! You haven't lived until you've experienced at least one scope-eye.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys! I'm only 5'6 and the scope is a Sightron SI 3x9x40. It currently has plenty of eye relief (I believe it's 4.5 at 3x) I'm just taking into consideration those awkward shots from the stand when the deer is within 40yds and little opportunity to reposition yourself. I use the Butler Creek covers and have had them brush up against me, but never a mark.

Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

You'll notice a little bit more recoil, but nothing significant. Unless you're alread recoil sensitive, it shouldn't be an issue. The one and only time I got popped by a scope was when I was 16 and shootingan older Savage 30-06.The scope positiongot adjusted real quick.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

get a LIMBSAVER recoil pad and forget recoil...
Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

In a hunting situation as mentioned youshould not really notice too much difference although with your MLbeing on the lighter side at 6.5 lbs, you may notice subtle differences in percieved recoil that a heavier ML will not experience.

None likely between 240 and 250gr projectilesunless you have a really tight loading projectile then I always notice a little increase the sharpness of recoil.

At the range for targetingis a bit different story,Inotice the difference with a heavier projectile. Even 50gr heavier.

Not a problem but there is additional recoil and you will notice it sooner (fatigue) with a heavier projectile.In particularwith a lighter rifle.

If you are simply sighting in a heavier projectile to find your load, should beno big deal.

M2C,

Tahquamenon

Quick Reply: Bullet Weight vs, Kick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.