Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking for an easier way to clean barrel.. >

Looking for an easier way to clean barrel..

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for an easier way to clean barrel..

Old 01-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Looking for an easier way to clean barrel..

I am looking for an easier method to clean the barrel of my Crocket
rifle 32 cal..There has got to be a way of cleaning with-out
removing the barrel..I hate taking it apart all the time..Sometimes
I may only shot it 4 or 5 times.Depending on the squirrle population..
Makes a nice close range woodchuck gun as well..I had a red dot
scope put on it a long time ago..Sure is fun to shoot,,I just want an
easy method of cleaning it..Thanks....John

Forgot to mention--it is a CAP LOCK
Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for an easier way to clean barrel..

No need to remove the barrel for cleaning...On my flinters, I just put in a toothpick in the vent, pour water, rubbing alcohol, whatever down the barrel, pour out and start swabbing...

Old 01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

The water method is a good way to clean your rifle, but as nchawkeye mentioned, you can plug the nipple with a tooth pick and simply swab the barrel clean. It might take some time, but stick with it. The patches will come oout clean.

Many of the old style rifles do not have a barrel that comes out of the stock without some major pin removal. They make a flush kit that you can put in place of the nipple or in the case of a flinter in the vent hole, and then the other end into a pail of water and basically water bath the rifle without removal from the stock.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:52 PM

removing 1 or 2 wedge pins and a nipple is hard work?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

theres days i only shoot my flinter 1 time...at a POP CAN and i do it out of fun, showing off, and to unload when i feel like i should unload and refresh the powder for the next hunt...im with frontier..might be a slight pain...but whats it take? 10 minutes tops??

id be afraid of hawkkeyes method because i KNOW my jag doesnt go down to the bottom where the powder sits...dont know why..almost like theres a chamber for the powder or something...i like the water method to force water in that area and also use a brush on the rod just to clean that area..the brush will go down there..jag wont..dont know why...

seems like other than that, that method aughta work if you make sure you get it good and clean...id be afraid to try it...my rifle is too important to me...
Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM

All i do is get my bucket of soapy hot water, remove barreland my nipple/vent liner and throw that into the bucket, Attach a bore mop onto my ramrod, pump the hot water through it a dozen times, grab my other ramrod that has a bore brush, do that a dozen times or 2, switch back to the mop a dozen strokes. Pull barrel out of water, use a heavy towel to dry the outside off and wipe it down clean, Grab my bottle of windex, squirt it down the bore until its draining out the the nipplehole/vent liner and then i'll use some patches and run them until they come out dry, and of course clean. Give the nipple/ vent liner a scrub with an old tooth brush, reinstall and i am done. Maybe 6-7 minutes tops to do it right.

I prefer not to oil my barrel afterwards but thats just the way i prefer. Havent had any rust issues or anything. Just have to make sure its good and dry.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I've cleaned them with a bath and without. Actually you can clean them just fine without water. Take a .22 caliber wire brush and rod, wrap a patch around that, dip it in solvent, and you can scrub that cone out just fine. Then a dry patch or two. Even with a water bath it does not hurt to get down there with something and scrape and clean that breech. Although good hot water with soap does seem the easy way to clean. But to each their own.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM

really there just an't no easy way if you shoot it. thats why man created smokeless powder. just stick the water hose in it and brush some then more water then check with a patch and if you still get black more water and more brushing then stick the airhose in it and give it a good blow job, nothing like giving your gun a good washing and a good blowjob followed by a lite oil rub. your gun will luv you it will even kill for you.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:16 AM

Well,it's not the take down of the barrel that bothers me. It's the fact I
have the red dot scope on it...I thought I had seen or read some place
about a tube you can put over the nipple and suck or pump water into
the barrel this way..Maybe it was something all together different..

If so,then my mistake..And to get back to the issue..I didn't want water
to get under the base and cause a rust issue...Thanks..John
Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

...I thought I had seen or read some place
about a tube you can put over the nipple and suck or pump water into
the barrel this way..Maybe it was something all together different..
That'd be the flush kit cayugad mentioned. The one I'm familiar with is the Ox Yoke Blackout flush kit. Your rifle would take the 6X1mm size. Or you can drill out the flash hole in an old worn outnipple,glue about a 2-3' lengthof aquarium tubing to it and have the same thing.

Quick Reply: Looking for an easier way to clean barrel..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.