Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 21 inch GMB carbine barrel >

21 inch GMB carbine barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

21 inch GMB carbine barrel

Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 21 inch GMB carbine barrel

I have the Investarms carbine that Cabela's sells. I had it in the woods this seasonand loved it. It carries nicely and is easyto work in the brush. I got a big doe this year and howI got it amazed me and my friends.I was sittingonahomemade ladder stand that was made very well, but they are hard to move around on. Well anyway I got interestedin a bunchof turkeysthatwere comingmyway that I didn't notice three deer till it was almost too late. I was stationed at the base of a hollow and they were trying to move around my left side. When I knew they were there, I turned around to my left and they froze. I love it whenthey do that. I could not put a bead on the buck, but the big doe was in a good position for my sights. I had to turninmy seat so farthat no one could believe that this old fat guy could go accomplish. Well guess what? The hammer felland the cap (#11) didn't go off. I could not believe the does good luck. I figured she would have taken off,but was still frozen when thehammer came down asecond time. It worked andshe went down in less thenaheart beat. Sorry I got solong winded.

Itoo would liketo go to adifferent sightsystem, but not sure wich one. It came with a standard opensight in black and I drilleda smallhole inthe end of the front sight andadded some orange higlow paint to the hole. Had to do that because everytime I would put the paint on, it would peel off. The sight works great now. Still I wouldlike to maybe put a tang sighton, but if it is not going to work in low light, I may reconsider.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Peep sights are without doubt an accurate way to go. Have you considered a Tru Glo Ghost Sight? I was looking at them. It is a peep but also has fiber optic rods on each side of the peep for when the darkness creeps in.

This little barrel was more of a... I did not need it but wanted to play with it. I hope it shoots conicals well. With the 1-28 twist is should do fine with some Goex 3f.

Congratulations on the doe. It is funny how sometimes you can make all the noise in the world and they deer do not spook and other times your chair makes a creek and they are over the next ridge.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,

Did you get a chance to shoot that GM 21" barrel yet?
Old 01-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I have not actually. It was very cold and windy yesterday when the sun was finally out and it was not snowing... and today was -21ºs this morning but did warm up to -4º and windy. Then company stopped over. We are in the middle of a deep freeze weather wise here in Wisconsin. Tomorrow the Packers play football and I want to watch them shiver. So maybe next week....
Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Peep sights are without doubt an accurate way to go. Have you considered a Tru Glo Ghost Sight? I was looking at them. It is a peep but also has fiber optic rods on each side of the peep for when the darkness creeps in.
Hey Cayuqad, I am not familiar with this setup. Who is selling them now? I will tryto see if TruGlo has a siteand check them out. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM

cabelas sells the ghost rings. i had them on my x-150. excellent sights.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.truglosights.com/content/products/firearm/muzzleloader/muzzle_brite.asp

tru glo has them on their web site. Frontier Gander was the one who was telling all of us how well they work. I am sure he could answer your questions.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went to the Tru Glo site and looked them over. However, they seem to be to new to be on the websites of the supply houses. They all have the older models. Willtrycall Midway on Monday. Thanks.

They do seem to be good looking sights and perfect for these old tired eyes!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finally found a place that has them for sale,BassPro Shop.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=81302&hvarTarget=search&c mCat=SearchResults

About $10 bucks more then theones they seem to be replacing. But they look good. Will stillcall Midway and see if theyhave them fora lower price.