Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Should I bed or float my Omega? >

Should I bed or float my Omega?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should I bed or float my Omega?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Should I bed or float my Omega?

I am always trying to improve accuracy on my Omega. Wondering what you guys thoughts are on bedding the barrel. I understand the difference between floating and bedding. I can run a dollar bill between the barrel and my laminated thumbhole stock now untill the recoil lug. Do you think it would be worth bedding? Also have some other muzzleloaders I might try to bed them. CVA Mag Bolt, Traditions Lightning Bolt.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should I bed or float my Omega?

bowbender6

With the laminate stock, with is a healthy strong stock, bedding might help accuracy... but probably un-necessary for a hunting rifle. Since you indicate that the barrel is already floating and that stock does not move it will no interfer or touch the barrel at different temperatures, either temperatures outside or temp of the barrel. Bedding the action might help and certainly would help maintain POI after strip cleaning the gun. Tightening the two lug screws equally each time is really the big thing to do + checking to make sure the lugs are tight to the barrel...

Just my thoughts, but I should ask are you having accuracy problems with it?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:02 AM

About 1-2" Groups @ 100 yards. They are not as consistent as I would like. Okay for hunting, but I like to play. I don't think bedding will make it worse. Might be a good winter project
Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

PM Lemoyne - he might be able to share some really good thoughts on the process... I have bedded several centerfires and ml's but since that is one of the things he use to do (or still does) for a living - he knows secrets that I do not...

Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 PM

With the magbolt, Its very easy to float. Also remove the material touching the sides of the barrel.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bedded my Omega. If you go to that effort, which isn't that bad, I HIGHLY recommend you install aluminum pillars while you are at it. That part is actually a lot easier than the bedding job that follows.

The biggest benefit for me was that I now have a consistent POI; before I did it I needed to rezero every time the action was out of the stock. I do think it closed up the groups by maybe .25" too.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Bowbender6,
I don't know who here knows what about bedding but I do know spaniel bedded his and has great groups. I did not want to modify my rifles stock. I notice however thatmy Omega's stock was touching on one side of the barrel. I removed the nibs of raised thick polyurthane? finish w/steel wool where the barrel was touching. Still touching. I had some teflon flat stock that I cut and fitted in the bottom of the stock gullies where the barrel studsdrop in. It was just about right but upon tighting I felt with such a hard laminated surface w/metal on the other side of the teflonI would get inconsistant results. I went to Lowes and found abrass cabinethinge that was a little thicker and predrilled the holes from the teflon template, and hacksawed and then filed to fit.Here is what I got!

I did sand down the surfaces to remove any burs etc. on a flat surface w/ ultra fine wet dry.WhatI don't know is will this mod cause POI changes when I remove the barrel and remount. I haven't had the time to test and retest. What I can tell you is when I do my part I can touch/clover leaf@ 100 meters. I know when I pull a shot but in general 5 shot groups turn out real nice. This is just a little better than before the mod. The main thing is the dollar bill slides back to the front lug w/o and interruption.

So my big question for the more experienced guys and to help me & bowbender6 is did I do something right or just headed in the right direction ?????
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

SHills

Basically from what I can tell you have raised the barreled action in the stock with shims. The shims you have chosen to use will also provide you a stable and sound lug base... so as you tighten the lug screws you will not be pulling the action further down into the stock.

I have down this with 3/4 omega's and it has worked very well. If the barrel is now floated it SHOULD set up the same harmonics in the barrel everytime you shoot it. Temperature, both the ambient temperature and the temperature of the barrel should not cause a change in the POI because there is room for the stock and/or the barrel to swell...

I believe it is still always best to have a barrel channel and action fully bedded. This combination should stop any movement of the barreled action in the stock and pressure will be applied equally. For a target rifle that you a making money with by shoot targets I think a full bed job is a priority... For a hunting rifle getting a 1MOA @ 100 is very respectible... If you read spaniel's post he reduced his MOA a 1/4" by bedding his Omega...

If your gun as you have made thse changes shoots 1 MOA or 1.5 MOA - congratulations... I think you have made a worthy improvement.

The only thing you have not done is take any front/back movement out of the action - IF there is any... Usually the laminate stocks a fairly stong, especially with those deep lug pockets - just the opposit with the synthetic stocks...

Old 01-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

SHills -- I won't argue with it if it works for you, but...

The true purpose of a pillar is to remove ANY compression of the stock when you tighten the action screws. Using your "floor plate" design, you still have to tighten the head of the action screws into the stock, it's just compressing against the floor plate instead of the lug. A true pillar SHOULD still be an improvement. When my action screws bottom out on the pillar, there is ZERO play, metal to metal contact.

When I can get back into a difference site, I'll see if I can retrieve an IM I sent with bedding/pillar installation instructions and copy it here.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally never seen a negative to shoring up the action by bedding it. I 100% agree that if your going to go to the trouble of bedding the action take the additional step of pillars at the same time.

As mentioned your barrel is already floated and assuming your pillar/bed job is true this will remain. If for some reason you have a little stock touch after the bed/pillar job remove material from the barrel channel by using fine grid sand paper. Slow and steady wins this race - not hard but requires somepatience.

Quick Reply: Should I bed or float my Omega?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.