Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullet damage when loading >

Bullet damage when loading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet damage when loading

Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Bullet damage when loading

I thought this was interesting and would get you guy’s opinion. When I was trying to find an easy loading bullet for my daughters CVA Mag bolt I took the breech plug out and using a (Super Rat) Rotating Accuracy Tool
attached to my range rod pushed different bullets through the barrel . Look at the damage to the PR dead center 175gr bullet when it came out. How much is this going to effect the group? I know these are soft lead but I would hope for no damage. Maybe I can reshpe or glue some felt on the end of the tool.

I am not sure if the picture will come through good enough

Old 01-06-2008, 06:46 PM

Default RE: Bullet damage when loading

Isn't that an all lead bullet? I have dumped Barnes , Nosler and TCSW and none of them have any marrks. I do use the TC part for loading that stylebullets.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Any of these types of bullets do require that you load them with a special tool so as not to crush the tips. I think that by loading it the first time you may have done this and not by just pushing out the load. I have never seen this on the Shockwave bullets I use with the attachment. You may want to get one of these or similar. I don't think your groups will be affected much, and to prove it load up your daughters gun with a new bullet loaded with a proper jag and have her shoot it then add this bullet in your photoand have her shoot it but don't tell her about the bullet so as she doesn't do anything fancy and see if it groups the same. Just mix it up and see. Does this bullet shaping happen each time it is unloaded or is the first time this has happened?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20819&id=0006506214075a&navCount=8& podId=0006506&parentId=cat20819&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid= &parentType=index&indexId=cat20819&has JS=true
Old 01-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

P/Ua spinjag and problem fixed.

http://spinjag.com/
Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

P/Ua spinjag and problem fixed.

http://spinjag.com/
+1. Get two, 1 for loading and 1 for cleaning. No get 3, 1 for you, 1 your your daughter and 1 for cleaning. Chap
Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 AM

I don't care what type of bullet you use if you create damage to it in any way it will effect that bullet in some way and most of the time it is in accuracy, it may not be much or it could be alot it just dependson what kind and how much damage has been done.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Never checked for damage before. I don't use this bullet in her gun but I shoot it in my Omega. There has to be some damage when I seat the bullet if there is some damage just pushing it through. They shoot good 1-2 inch groups in my Omega but maybe I can do better.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM

bowbender6

these are a pritty Expensive bullet arn't they?

IMO I think you would do alot better with a 200gr SST with 100 or 110gr of powder alot of guys have reported back with sub 1" groups with this load and some long range kills also.
20 of the SST will run aboght 14.00
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM

I buy in quanity (120-240) and they are usually less than $1.00 ea, but yeah there a little $. They shoot well but I am alwasys playing, I have some 200 SW and might try those also. If the weather cooperates now is when I shoot.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

With long nose pure lead bullets you would have to have a a jag type loader with the inside turn to exactly fit the whole front end of the bullet to avoid getting the ring, if you are going to that much trouble why not go all the way and swedge your own; the cost of those are like pb's unbelieveable for what you get. Lee

Quick Reply: Bullet damage when loading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.