Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tripple 7 Questions >

Tripple 7 Questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tripple 7 Questions

Old 01-01-2008, 04:51 AM

Default Tripple 7 Questions

Happy New Year....

This has been covered befor but since I'm a Traditional-BP hunter I ignored it. I have an inline, (TC Firehawk) that I've not shot since the mid 90's and decided to use it stand hunting in our late shotgun season. Took it out yesterday with 2f Tripple seven, no wonder you guys like the stuff, accurate as can be and almost no crud.

Do I have to clean the barrel after shooting or can I leave the gun loaded with a dirty bore? Will it rust the metal?

What should I use to clean it? Iknow I'll have to clean it at some point and windex seemed to work OK--anything else that is better?..

I remember hearing about the dreaded crud ring, I seem to have avoided that somehow. Anything else I should know?

Thanks
Doug
Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 AM

Default RE: Tripple 7 Questions

Yes most deff. clean your barrle.
You can always foul your barrle before loading it to hunt.
I use a good bore cleaner/scrubber to clean my barrles , Dry them good and then use a good gun oil in them
but make sure your barrle is good and dry before aplying the oil or moisture will be trapped unger the oil

Before you load up to shoot again clean oil out of barrle first.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Spike

i have had alot of my friends not clean theres for a while. but if it is a damp rain day i would definitly clean it or if you fire alot of shots off but who misses that much
Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to clean it daily if it has been fired. A fewhours with a fouled barrel is usually safe (unless it's very high humidity), but I wouldn't go over12 hours with a fouled barrel under any circumstances.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 AM

Wow, I'm surprised, I thought this stuff was more like smokeless and that humidity didn't affect it like BP or Pyro....

Thanks for the relies

Doug
Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doug S

Doug this is my opinion and what I practice with all of ML guns, inlines or sidehammer.

T7 is far less corrosive than any of the Pyro's or real BP + it is much slower to corrode when it does... if it does...

First I will tell you that I am very proud of my ML's and the condition they are in at any time you might picvk one up... but..... I do not strip clean or thouroghly clean then every time time I shoot them + plus they could be loaded for weeks at a time.

T7 is the only powder I shoot and is the only powder that I would consider doing this with.

Just prior to the season, I will take the gun out that I think I might use for the up-coming season. I will test fire it 3-5 times to check POI. I believe all of my guns fire more accurately on a fouled barrel, at least a semi fouled barrel - I will explain this...

After the gun has been test fired - I will patch the barrel with 3 damp regular windex patches (both sides) then 2 dry patches, and finish with a Slip 2000 (lightly oiled) patch - the wipe the barrel again with 2 dry patches. The barrel is not "clean" - it is semi clean and it is very lightly lubricated. I beleive the windex nuetralizes T7 perfectly and the light coating of oil also protects the barrel in the rotten northern Idaho weather.

I have used this same routine for at least seven years now shooting T7 and I do believe it is very effective for me. Any barrel can rust in the bore if the bore is not protected. T7 in my mind is not anywhere close to as corrosive as some would have you believe.

These are my results - you might find it different - but for me it works great

mike
Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

You can leave triple seven for a little while, but like all powders.. it will sooner or later start to damage the bore of your rifle. Temperature and humidity in your area will influence the rust clock a great deal. I ran a test with that powder and actually it did not start to rust a lawn mower blade for over five days. Now a lawn mower blade is not the same steel as your rifle barrel. So thatwith a grain of salt.

Its your rifle, if you want to take the chance of a couple days without cleaning between shots.. you will probably get by with it. If you are worried about rust then clean it when you shoot it. Cleaning that night or the next day is fine.

Triple Se7en is a great powder. Remember in loose form it is 15% (approx) stronger then Pyrodex RS or Goex 2f. So keep that in mind when you work your loads.. Good luck with your rifle.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Soap and water work fine for cleaning (a squirt of dish soap into a small squirt bottle), or windex or lately I've been using Rusty Duck Black Off (funny it smells like window cleaner).
Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 AM

Thanks again.

I keep my BP guns clean, this only will only see a small amount of use each day, just the early morning stand and I am try to avoid having to clean it everyday. It shoots the same, clean or dirty so I'll just snap a cap, load it and leave it alone unless I fire it...

Doug
Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Does it hurt to leave the powder in the barrel with the gun loaded for the season if it is not fired?

Quick Reply: Tripple 7 Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.