Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Firestorm & Roundball's Revisted >

T/C Firestorm & Roundball's Revisted

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Firestorm & Roundball's Revisted

Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Spike

Default T/C Firestorm & Roundball's Revisted

Thanks toeverone that offered adviceearlier last week onthis sitefor BP loads and using patched Roundball's with my Flintlock. I'm now shooting my T/C "Firestorm" with 175 grain patched RB's with .015 lubed pillow ticking and doing much better at the range.I have it narrowed down to 60-70 grains of a 50/50 mixture of 2f & 4F Goex BP down the barrel because I couldn't get 3f.I'm using 4f in the pan. The gun seems to love this combination of powder and fires so much faster. No more pifffffffff-boom now it's Piff- Boom! My accuracy has gone way up but I ran into one variable.

Can wind have a big effect on the flight of a RB? I had a direct crosswind coming from right to left at the range about10-15 knots at 50 yards. Istarted to noticemy RB shot's were hitting more and more to the right on the target.... I was going to startmoving the rear site but thought I better not touch it, I was shooting fine earlier in the day until the wind picked up.

I also have an old box of 50 Buffalo Bullet Company MAXI BALL-ET's 270 Grain lubed with what looks like bore butter (like my pillow ticking patches).Isthis a good bullet to use for Whitetail with my T/C Firestorm with 1/48" twist and BP? If so, any idea how much more Goex BP I would have to use to push this bullet since it weighs 100 grains more?

It also seems I can only shoot about 70 yards max because the sites on this gun are terrible. At 100 yards you would just about block out a deer aiming with these sites. Does anyone know if there is a better rear site available then the large fiber optic one T/C has on it? Seems like all their custom sites are for their other guns. Like to put a peep site on it. PA doesn't allow scopes in the primitive arms season.

Appreciate any and all information.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: T/C Firestorm & Roundball's Revisted

Try RMC Sports 1-800-338-4391 They are in Mingoville, Pa They have a V-peep that will fit your Firestorm. Good luck with your rifle.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 PM

If you still get the Piff- Boom, cut back on your pan charge. You'd be amazed at how little powder it takes to set the main charge off.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thumper50

Try RMC Sports 1-800-338-4391 They are in Mingoville, Pa They have a V-peep that will fit your Firestorm. Good luck with your rifle.
V-peep looks like this. I use it on my TC Hawken FL because I am far sighted. I think you have to go to a smaller front sight to get a better 100 yard target. Effective range on 50 cal PRB is about 75 yards according to energy rules of 800 fpe. Chap Gleason

Old 12-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also have an old box of 50 Buffalo Bullet Company MAXI BALL-ET's 270 Grain lubed with what looks like bore butter (like my pillow ticking patches).Isthis a good bullet to use for Whitetail with my T/C Firestorm with 1/48" twist and BP?
Absolutely.

I'd start off around 90 or maybe 100grains and work up a hunting load from there.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Dominant Buck

With any load in a 1-48 twist barrel, I always start them at 70 grains of 2f and then start pushing them up to see how fast I can push them before they fail to group. I am sure the 270 ballet would do real well on a deer.

If you have fat sights and want to shoot further, start trying to shoot a true 6 o'clock hold, where the POI is a dot on the center of the front sight top. Then you never cover your target and it might stretch your distance until you can get a peep.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Spike

Thanks for recommending the Peep site from RMC Sports. It's working well!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the front sight on the firestorm mounted with screws or a dovetail?????
Thinking of looking into the V-Peep for my NewEnglander. It is the round barrel, but the front sight uses a dovetail mount. (It is a very early model without the recessed muzzle)