Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I couldn't resist

Old 12-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I couldn't resist

I went to buy my lovely wife a few Christmas gifts on Friday and somehow or other I ended up looking at the Muzzleloaders at the sporting goods store. They had a used Black Diamond for $69.99. I had them break it down so I could look at the bore. Aside from a couple scratches on the synthetic stock I just couldn't find anything wrong with the gun. Itcame with all three ignition types and a few other tools. I brought it home with me. I haven't shot it yet but its hard to see how I can go wrong. It's kind of nasty out here so it might be a few days before I get to try it.
If any of you own a Black Diamond and have any useful tips or info I would appreciate it.
Art
Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I couldn't resist

Great buy. My brother has one and loves it. I can't tell you much about it since we don't hunt or shoot together due to a 3 hour distance.

Al
Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Those BDs are shooters. I had one with a 26'' bbl and liked almost any load. Ended up shooting 100 gr of t7 2f and 300 gr xtp. 1" groups a 100 yds. Kerry
Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

The Black Diamond is one of the best shooting rifles I think Thompson Center ever made. Mine will shoot about anything you shove down it. 100 grains of powder and a 250 grain Shockwave will give you "normally" excellent results.

Things to watch is the breech plug. After ten shots, take your breech plug wrench and give that thing a twist back and fourth to make sure it is not seizing up. I tell you this from experience as no one warned me... Other then the bad fowling of the open breech design, there really is not a better shooter out there in my opinion.

With loose powder, start your loads at 80 grains and work from there. You have a 22 inch barrel, so there is no reason to shoot anything over 120 grains of powder out of it. I like my rifle, but seldom shoot it. Because you take it to the range and it loads the bull with hits, you take it home, clean it, and the next time to the range it is the same thing all over again....

We are having a major storm here as well. Lots of wind, snow, almost a blizzard of sorts.. I got the yard cleaned already (approximately 8-10 inches) so the rest of the snow will be easy to remove...
Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: flounder33

I went to buy my lovely wife a few Christmas gifts on Friday and somehow or other I ended up looking at the Muzzleloaders at the sporting goods store. They had a used Black Diamond for $69.99. I had them break it down so I could look at the bore. Aside from a couple scratches on the synthetic stock I just couldn't find anything wrong with the gun. Itcame with all three ignition types and a few other tools. I brought it home with me. I haven't shot it yet but its hard to see how I can go wrong. It's kind of nasty out here so it might be a few days before I get to try it.
If any of you own a Black Diamond and have any useful tips or info I would appreciate it.
Art
That is an excellent deal, always good to have a rifle to loan folks or maybe have one with open sights and 1 with a scope. Chap Gleason

PS. Hard to find your wife gifts in the MLer store!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:31 PM

Between my two sons and myself we have 2 Omega's, 3 Knights, one Rem 700 and a Black Diamond. Day in and day out it is the most accurate of all our ML's.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a good buy, now you better actually go get your wife a present!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I've got one shopping day till Christmas so I'm in good shape.