Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bore Butter question? >

Bore Butter question?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter question?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bore Butter question?

I am fairly new at muzzleloading so hang in there while I ask some easy questions. After cleaning your muzzleloader, do you leave your barrel squeaky clean or do you run a patch of bore butter down it? And before shooting are you supposed to clean the bore butter from your barrel or not? Thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter question?

Bore Butter[:'(]

Seriously though, some people love it andthat's great if they do. I have no use for it. I use Rem Oil. BirchwoodCasey has good products as well. When you are ready to shoot it next, you will want to run a wet patch or two down the bore followed by a couple dry patches to get the excess oil out, then pop a couple caps/primers.

cayugad I'm sure will catch this and give you his detailed procedures but my advice would be to leave the BB alone.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

TNHagies and I agree on this. Bore butter is a great product. It is an excellent conical lube, even a patch lube for shooting patch ball. As something to protect my bore.. no thanks. Now there are many people that use it to protect their rifles. And all I can say is.. their rifles. Birchwood Casey Sheath a.k.a. Barricade is my favorite gun oil.

Thompson Center started this whole idea of bore butter seasoning the bore. While a lot of people claim this a benefit, I did not. I was a bore butter user. And then I gradually saw the accuracy of a rifle decrease until it was not fit for shooting. I talked to the old man who taught me muzzleloaders and he laughed and told me I was a bore butter shooter. Get that stuff out, and the rifle would return. So I boiled water, plugged the nipple, filled the barrel and then, wearing gloves, with a brass brush scrubbed the bore. The chunks that came out of that barrel to this day still shocked me. Bore butter has never went back in that rifle.

Then a couple years ago, this bore butter discussion was again addressed, so I took one of my rifles, bore buttered it the way they told me would work. And almost every day for three weeks, shot the rifle and bore buttered it up. At the end of the three weeks, I noted no advantage in loading or cleaning, and I had to change the powder charge once to keep the accuracy going. So the accuracy was fading. I then removed the bore butter and treated it the way I treat all my rifles now. Also I was getting some off colored patches when I swabbed the bore. That bothered me.

I clean my bore nice and clean like you described. Then I get a patch good and moist with Sheath and swab that bore in short strokes working down and up the barrel a couple times. This works especially good if the bore of the rifle is hot when you do this. For as the metal cools, it sucks that Sheath into the pores of the metal. I have yet to have a barrel rust when protected like this.

Then before I shoot the next time, take a patch and wet it with isopropyl alcohol. Then swab the bore with that patch. Then a couple dry patches after that. Leave the last dry patch in the bore down in the breech. Then you can test your fire channel with what ever ignition system you use. Pop a #11 cap or what ever and pull that patch. If if shows burn marks, then you are ready to load, as the bore is clean and dry, and the fire channel clear. Your rifle will fire.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't bore buttermyself. I get the barrel squeaky clean and dry, then run a patch with light oil down the bore - Rem Oil, 3 in 1, etc. Before loading, I run both sides of one dry patchand have never had any problem.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, thanks for the replys, sounds like some good info. Wish I would have never started using bore butter.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Only time i ever use lube is for my shooting patches. After i clean the rifle i use a couple windex patches, then dry the barrel and hang it back on the wall. I dont like oiling my barrels.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Spike

I use Breakfree CLP on my centerfire guns. Anyone know of a reason not to use it on a ML?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

After cleaning it's Rem Oil for me.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone wanna buy some bore butter?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Bore Butter to lube my patches for my flintlock if I am shooting roundballs in it. I also use it to lube my conicals that I pour myself. In my flintlock I just lube the bullet with my fingers. In my Knight MK 85 I do not lube the conical at all.

IMO bore Butter is at it's best as a lube for patches. I prefer it over a spit patch. I had a fellow with a bore scope show me the damage a spit patch can do over time to your barrel.

Bore Butter is easy to apply, and you can leave the rifle loaded all week if you like. Just keep the rifle in the environment that it will be used in. I have never had any problem's with misfires, as long as I did not allow a bunch of condensation. Tom.

Quick Reply: Bore Butter question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.