Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope clearance

Old 12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default scope clearance

has anyone ever bent atc hammer to clear a lower mounted scope? also ? for c-dad, what is the name of the place you got your scope mountig rail for your renegade? is it offset or in line with the barrel?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: scope clearance

Thumper, what kind of T/C do you have? If you have a Hawken or Renegade in percussion don't go bending the hammer. I got a used Hawken percussion lock that already has the hammer bent just for the purpose your describing. The locks for the Hawken and Renegade are interchangable. Other than the thumb portion being bent the lock is in A one condition.
Being that I don't want a scope on this rifle, I will gladly swap you if yours is in good condition.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

what i would l like to do is purchase a ''bent '' hammer. this is my dad's old rifle and i really don't want to part with any parts. i am going to purchase a green mtn fast twist barrel for it this year and i want to put a scope on it. i have a leopold 4x compact to put on it . but thank you any way bronco, i appreciate the offer.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

thumper50

Probably the easiet thing is to call Thompson Center and tell them what you want and they will mail you one or tell you where you can get one...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader; it is your and c-dads results with your TC's that convinced me to go with the new barrel,even though i've been thinking about it for while. i killed about 6 or 8 deer with my old tc hawken then went to inlines mk85s lost them all in a breakin about 4yrs ago. got my dads old renegade 50cal after he passed away. ihave a gun safe now. if anyone doesnt have a safe they better get one ! i lost 9 guns ,all tack drivers. i wont keep a gun that wont shoot!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Call Fox Ridge Outfitters.. they sell an off centered mount for Renegade and Hawkins rifles. To mount it, you remove the rear sight, and there is a screw in the very back near the tang that you take out. Those screws hold the base on. I would also suggest put some quick release rings on the scope as it makes it easier to give the rifle a water bath when your done. I put a set of solid steel weaver non release rings on. They accept a weaver mount and you do not have to bend the hammer as because of the way it sits, they will not hit the scope or base.

That is the base and scope I put on my Green Mountain Barrel which is on a Renegade. This is a deadly rifle by the way. 120 grains of Graf's 2f Black Powder and a .430 diameter crushed rib sabot with a 300 grain XTP or a 260 grain Nosler Partition and this thing will really shoot.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

c-dad; i just looked at the old 1/48 bbl. the only screw holes are the ones that hold the rear sight. does a new bbl have the 3rd hole? also what is the # or website of fox ridge please? thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

1-800-243-4570 Fox Ridge Outfitters .... they are Thompson Center's custom shop.

The new Green Mountain Barrels have the third hole. If you want to mount that on one of the older Thompson Center barrels, Fox Ridge will be more then happy to explain how to do it. When I ordered my base, they explained in detail how to install it correctly.

That rifle has a 1-28 twist and is stainless steel. But GMB sells them in blue as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Hi Cayugad,Don't suppose you can post a pic from the buttstock end of the gun looking down the barrel so we can see the amt. of scope offset if possible? Say sandbagged off the shooting bench/bags?I'm going to have to do the same to my Renegade as my eyes are having trouble focusing on two sights.Did you use reg Weaver rings or something else?Do you remove the scope for cleaning and do they hold thier zero?I saw a kit a while back that screws into the nipple hole and uses surgical hose to draw water from a bucket so the scope would be away from the water.Thanx Harold
Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Pioneer2 as you can see it is off set just a little bit. But this way the hammer clears the back of the scope fine..

I hope this was what you wanted to see...

Quick Reply: scope clearance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.