Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Idaho Elk - update >

Idaho Elk - update

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Idaho Elk - update

Old 12-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Idaho Elk - update

Tuesday 12/18

Just some updates.... I over estimated the range it was only a 176 yards as verified today with the range finder... (shuddup cdad)

Dressed the animal weighed 454 pounds - skinned and hanging 339

We were able to coax my Kawasaki up into the CC hook on with a rope and skid it all the way out on the snow to the gate then to the trucks... Gosh was that nice...

I continue to stress the quality of these Nosler partitions. This bullet does not expand as big as some of the others but the damage it does as it passes through is really amazing. I am sure that the Barnes accomplishes the same thing. I am not trying to pick on SW/SST's or any of the fancy sharp pointed bullets but we are not shooting a modern gun - these Nosler fly out to 200 just fine and have plenty of energy. In the hands of a good shooter 250 yards is not a question... just my thoughts - just wish they were not so darn expensive...

Old 12-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Idaho Elk - update

This pic might give you a better idea of the size of this cow - and remember in my mind it was the smaller of the two cows....

Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow that is some damage to that chest area on the LHS of the animal. Nosler's do the job again, especially the 300g 'cause they have better retained energy.The bullet is good to 175 yards, but after thatthe bullet takes a nose dive.Some folks want to shoot the Barnes for the simple reason that there is no core to separate and they usually expand to 2x the entrance, so about 1 inch. They also fly a bitfurther than the Noslers, since the BC is a bit higher and they are more aerodynamic. Irate the Barnes a tad bit better for those reasons, but theNoslers are excellent, and should be considered by any shooter who wants to take game consistently to 175 yards with a MLer. Also the Noslers where/are the bullet that all bullets were measured against, and they still continue to perform after 60 years of use. Congratulations on the very good elk. Best Wishes, Chap
Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Excellant report. congratulations. Lee
Old 12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those are great pics.....those go with the old saying " a picture is better than 1000 words"!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice update there sabotloader.. that was a big elk. For those who have not had the pleasure, what is the average weight of an elk cow in your area?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave i would say this one was right around the average for a mature cow, a few years (actully several)ago I got one that weighed 560 lbs but i would say that is beyond average...

I do not think you realize the size until you start cleaning one and the gut pile weighs more and is larger than a lot of the whitetail around here.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I hunted them many many years ago,with center fire, but the guide and his kids did all that work... They are a magnificent animal just to look at. I hope to get out west in the near future and hunt them again before I am too old (or lazy) to walk around them mountians.. This time it will be with a muzzleloader.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I took a little fighting with myself to stay with the muzzleloader - twice during the season I had to pass on elk as they were way out of range... Twice i got the Tikka 300 win mag out and loaded it up and then I would have that discussion what is the important thing.... the important thing was to use the ML - so I would put the Tikka away... It is not like I really need the meat as we did many years ago when we were young... So now I am really glad i stayed with the ML. There really is a true since of gratification....

mike
Old 12-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Well making a shot like you did, at that kind of distance, in those conditions, and to have the projectile perform so flawless... it does tend to put the crowning touch on a otherwise excellent hunt. Granted, I have nothing against the center fire shooters.. its just that, like you.. if I do not fill the freezer it is not the end of the world. I proved that this year going deerless...

Quick Reply: Idaho Elk - update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.