Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 which black powder??? >

which black powder???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

which black powder???

Old 12-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default which black powder???

Well I am kinda getting tired of the smell and all the cleaning I have to do with my powder. I was wondering what you guys thought was the cleanest burning and put off the least amount of odor? Plus I was thinking about switching to a pellet just to try it out. I am currently shooting a T/C Encore .50 cal with 90 grains of goex ffg 200 grain shockwave bullet. People told me triple seven is suppose to be the best stuff out now. So I was thinking about trying there pellets. I thought I would come on here and ask opinions first. To see what powder, or pellet you guys think would be best overall.Thanks
Old 12-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which black powder???

I personally like 777 & Pyrodex R.S. powder
Pellets are ok but more expensive and you cant adjust your load as close as you can with loose powder
Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't shoot in-lines but I use triple 7 in my percussion sidelocks (loose - not pellets). Very easy to clean.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: blondiez24

Well I am kinda getting tired of the smell and all the cleaning I have to do with my powder. I was wondering what you guys thought was the cleanest burning and put off the least amount of odor? Plus I was thinking about switching to a pellet just to try it out. I am currently shooting a T/C Encore .50 cal with 90 grains of goex ffg 200 grain shockwave bullet. People told me triple seven is suppose to be the best stuff out now. So I was thinking about trying there pellets. I thought I would come on here and ask opinions first. To see what powder, or pellet you guys think would be best overall.Thanks
the cleanest powder hands down is Jim Shockey gold, but it is not as powerful as 777. You can shoot a Savage and go smokeless and that is really really clean, like never clean the BP (except with a drill) and only the barrel at the end of the season. Chap Gleason
Old 12-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say the cleanest I've shot was APP (Shockey Gold), but I didn't get the best accuracy with it.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Blondie, I have only ever used 777's in pellet form. The gun shoots great with them (have used my buddy's JS Gold a couple of times) and I never found them to foul up the gun that bad that cleaning was a painful task. There might be cleaner stuff out there, I don't really know, but I would still give a good recommendation to the 777's.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

T7 is by far the best powder I have used. Cleans up well and has proved very accurate...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Black Mag'3 is the cleanest, great velocity and conistant. However, the powder is not currently available. Hopefully in 2008 Magkor will be producing BM3 again. Love this powder, but am hoarding what I have left using only for hunting.

777 2&3FGis excellent velocity, consistant, is fairly cleanand is widely available. Shoot about 4-6 pounds of 777 each year.

Pyrodex shoots really well in my experience.However the stuff is filthy,stinks like dead eggs that were stored for three yearsin a skunk's rectumand is about as corrosive as traditional black, so I just shoot traditional black.

Swiss BP is exceptional for taditional black powder. Shoot about 6-10 pounds of Swiss every year.

Goex BP is very good as well.

Goex Pinnacle is available although I have not shot any. Some folks have here on the forum and can give you the .02

American Pioneer Powder (APP)(which also makes Shockey), not shot the Shockey powder but have APP which is about as lame as it get's for a powder in my view.

Supposedly there is a new powder called Buckhorn 209coming out in 2008 from Western Powders Inc. that is supposed to be the next new BP substitue mousetrap. We'll see.

Tahquamenon
Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 AM

So with all this talk about 777-what is the best way to clean the barrel?

Do you use soap and water? Or something else like Lyman or some
other brand of solvent..I have only tried the 777 in my cartridge rifles..

Even though I have lots of Goex on hand,I kind of like the idea of the
pellets.....What is the Goex Penntical like...I aint no good at spelling..
Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnny2

So with all this talk about 777-what is the best way to clean the barrel?
At the range when shooting sabot's I clean witha spit patch down and up flip anddo again, followed by the same downup flip downup damp50/50 99% alcohol/windex patch followed by a dry patch downup flip and downup again.

For detailed cleaning, for all powders I use atablespoon of liquid laundry soap, a couple quarts of scalding hot water and pump-flush the bore.

Tahquamenon

Quick Reply: which black powder???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.