Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 3 Deer with 1 Bullet >

3 Deer with 1 Bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

3 Deer with 1 Bullet

Old 12-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default 3 Deer with 1 Bullet

A good friend told me how he lent his new Omega to a relative to hunt with today,the dayafter we had a significant snowstorm.The relativereported that there were 5 deer passing through, all does, so he decided to shoot the largest at fairly close range. The240 grain saboted bullet passed through not just one deer, but through 2 deer to kill the third. He said thedowned deerlooked like 3fullgenerations of a family of doesthat were herding together, grandmom,daughter and grandaughter.
I've heard of 2 deer being shotwith one bullet before, but not3.
My friend alsosaid thatthe Omega was only loaded withtwo 777 pellets thattotaled~85 grains.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3 Deer with 1 Bullet

ORIGINAL: arcticap

A good friend told me how he lent his new Omega to a relative to hunt with today,the dayafter we had a significant snowstorm.The relativereported that there were 5 deer passing through, all does, so he decided to shoot the largest at fairly close range. The240 grain saboted bullet passed through not just one deer, but through 2 deer to kill the third. He said thedowned deerlooked like 3fullgenerations of a family of doesthat were herding together, grandmom,daughter and grandaughter.
I've heard of 2 deer being shotwith one bullet before, but not3.
My friend alsosaid thatthe Omega was only loaded withtwo 777 pellets thattotaled~85 grains.
Now what bullet was he shooting. If I were a guessing man, I would guess a SW. Chap Gleason
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's keeping the cost per deer down!
Luck he killed all three and didn't just wound a couple!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Mistakes happen. The person did not look behind his target at the back ground. He needed to take into consideration the effect if indeed the bullet would have passed through the deer he was shooting at. I made the same mistake myself once. I never saw the second deer. If I had, I would not have shot when I did. While some people thought it was pretty cool killing two deer with one shot, I never really took pride in the accomplishment, but have mentioned it to hopefully inform others that these rifles do have the power to do some massive carnage out there. We really need to be aware of what is behind what we shoot.

I am glad all three deer were killed by the single bullet. I hope he had the tags to cover the mistake...

Also I am not trying to criticize this person for his incident. Far be it from me to cry wolf when I have done the same thing. All I am saying is if this was his intention, shame on him. If it was an accident, he needs to be a little more careful in the future and not shoot into a group. He also needs to realize that muzzleloaders are powerful rifles and bullets will pass through with still lots of killing power to them.

I have never heard of three with one shot either.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Cayugad you are a gentelman and a scholer. I will not be as nice on this one! This was Notwell thought out by no means?? NO! what that is is a shooter(not a Hunter) Why would anyone shoot with 2 other deer behind the deer he or she was aiming at??? I'm sorry but the guy or gal was out of line to even pull the trigger. This is why the PETA is on our A** all the time I personally DO NOT agree with them on this one. Plain STU*** , period!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I would like to believe if I can not say something good when it relates to a person instead of a thing that I will say Nothing.
"NOTHING"
Lee
Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be WAY too worried about losing the other deer to do such a thing. It is fairly amazing but still not too cool. Shots that place other deer or anything that is undesireable behind intended target should ALWAYS be passed on...
Old 12-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I'll say something.
Anyone who has hunted very long knows that in the woods it's not always easy to see as well as in a Walmart parking lot. Deer are so well camoflaged that they often just "appear" in front of us without our even seeing where they came from. I can see how this could happen without the hunter knowing that another deer (or two) had moved up behind the one he's aiming at. The very fact that they were behind it implies that they were blocked from view, doesn't it? It's one thing to "know the background" - ie - no buildings, roads, etc. behind the target. It's a completely different thing to be able to see through the animal to know exactly what is or isn't behind it.
To call someone who had this happen to him "stupid" is uncalled for, and very poor sportsmanship.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:05 PM

He had 3 deer tags right?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man I thought I was cheap!!! Tom.

Quick Reply: 3 Deer with 1 Bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.