Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .45 gold dot or .44 uni-cor jsp or .44 Nosler Sporting jhp >

.45 gold dot or .44 uni-cor jsp or .44 Nosler Sporting jhp

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 gold dot or .44 uni-cor jsp or .44 Nosler Sporting jhp

Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 PM

Default .45 gold dot or .44 uni-cor jsp or .44 Nosler Sporting jhp

I've decided to make a bulk purchase and I am stuck between the Speer .452 300grgold dot,the Speer .429 300gr uni-cor jacketed soft point and the Nosler Sporting handgun bullet in .429 300gr jhpThey all should expand well at a broad range of velocities. I think that the .429s would have a higher sectional density which in theory is better. The .429s will be a little longer so it should fly a little better. The .452 is bigger so it will make a bigger initial hole. I think they all have some kind of bonding process to aviod jacket separation. I have read a lot of good things on this forum about the Gold dots and how well they hold up so my leaning is that way but these others seem like they would do well also. I don't have the opporunity here in central WI to do lots of range shooting (or I would get some of each)so I will probably pick one bullet and work a load up with it
All of these are reasonably priced inboxes of 50 or 100 which is way better than the dollar per bullet the Expander MZs were costing me. My wallet and wife didn't care for that anymore. So I'm going to bulk buy, much better prices this way.

What are your thoughts comparing these three pistol bullets for muzzleloading?Would be hunting whitetail or bigger and shooting possibly out 180-200yds with most shots inside 100yds.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .45 gold dot or .44 uni-cor jsp or .44 Nosler Sporting jhp

The heavier 300 gr bullets would do on most anything you want to shoot. 200 yds. mighty long ways to throw a 300 gr. As fer the .451/.452 or .429's some people like the .45 with tight blk. sabots fer accuracy. I shoot the Speer .429 240 gr. JSP Gold Dot with gn. sabot. All my shots have been pass thru's with that bullet. I have not shot it passed 75 yds. into a deer as of yet. Its thick here and very few places i even can see 75 yds. even in the dead winter.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HeavyDutyWonk

I've decided to make a bulk purchase and I am stuck between the Speer .452 300grgold dot,the Speer .429 300gr uni-cor jacketed soft point and the Nosler Sporting handgun bullet in .429 300gr jhpThey all should expand well at a broad range of velocities. I think that the .429s would have a higher sectional density which in theory is better. The .429s will be a little longer so it should fly a little better. The .452 is bigger so it will make a bigger initial hole. I think they all have some kind of bonding process to aviod jacket separation. I have read a lot of good things on this forum about the Gold dots and how well they hold up so my leaning is that way but these others seem like they would do well also. I don't have the opporunity here in central WI to do lots of range shooting (or I would get some of each)so I will probably pick one bullet and work a load up with it
All of these are reasonably priced inboxes of 50 or 100 which is way better than the dollar per bullet the Expander MZs were costing me. My wallet and wife didn't care for that anymore. So I'm going to bulk buy, much better prices this way.

What are your thoughts comparing these three pistol bullets for muzzleloading?Would be hunting whitetail or bigger and shooting possibly out 180-200yds with most shots inside 100yds.
Any of these would work well. I like the 300g .452 Gold Dots, but that is just me. Chap Gleason

Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

I see that the Gold Dot .452 300 grain bullets lists a BC of .233; that can't be right. It seems awful high to me. The Hornady xtp .452 300 grainer lists just .180 BC. What cha think!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Take a look at the Nosler 45 Colt .451 250 gr.$16-18.00/100. I shoot these in a Nosler sabot I buy from Midsouth. They print the same as the 260 gr Nosler partition HG,but are much cheaper for target shooting. Shockey packages them as S.H.O.T. 's

Charlie
Old 12-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mossie

If you look at the nose of the Speer Gold Dot - it has been redesigned from the old Gold Dot and it is far more areo dynamic that the Hornady.

It is very close to .233 at the given velocity
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

HeavyDutyWonk,If you like light loads the 44 will do well if you like to put some powder behind it I would try the Gold Dots For deer boar or black bear the Gold Dots are very good they have shot well with 110 gr of 777 for me and while the thick sabot and the 44,s shot a good group they only do it with 90 gr. I get a bang flop so far 3 deer and a boar with the 250gr Gold Dot but the 300gr shoots well and suprisingly flat I would use the 300gr on Moose, Elk, buffalo or big bear and anything that size.
There are a number of good bullets out there but you can only kill them dead and I think that its pointles to spend big bucks when the accuracy and the capability are ther for a fraction of the price. Lee
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne
There are a number of good bullets out there but you can only kill them dead and I think that its pointles to spend big bucks when the accuracy and the capability are ther for a fraction of the price. Lee
This is really where I think I am at. I love the 300gr Barnes Expander MZ but I think the job will get done almost as well for a lot less money. I am going to hunt with the bullet that I target shoot with and so my target shooting load will have to be a good hunting load. That said I am really leaning towards the Gold dots in 300gr. I really like that they are bonded bullets yet they aren't insanely priced. I have found them online for less than $20 per box of 50, I just hope that they are reasonably priced at my local Gander Mountain because shipping costs from the online stores send the price per box pretty high.

sabotloader
You said that speer redesigned the gold dot bullets to be more aerodynamic. Is that a resent change that one would need to check for when buying gold dots or did that happen quite awhile ago? Do you know what velocity speer is useing when they give that bc of .233? While on that topic do you know where I could find a good arcticle on the relationship between velocity and ballistic coefficients?

My thanks to all you gentlemen for your input. I am really enjoying the learning experience that participating in this forum has been.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

HeavyDutyWonk

The Gold Dots that you would purchase today are the new .452 ones. The older 300 grain Gold Dots were .451 and they have been out of the food chain for a couple of years....

These are really good bullets...

Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

I personally like the the .300 grain SP Uni-Cor:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=000214485

they are $1 per box of 50 cheaper than the HP version and I figure they should expand better at lower velocity:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=000213974

Doug

Quick Reply: .45 gold dot or .44 uni-cor jsp or .44 Nosler Sporting jhp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.