HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .45 gold dot or .44 uni-cor jsp or .44 Nosler Sporting jhp
Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .45 gold dot or .44 uni-cor jsp or .44 Nosler Sporting jhp

ORIGINAL: HeavyDutyWonk

I've decided to make a bulk purchase and I am stuck between the Speer .452 300grgold dot,the Speer .429 300gr uni-cor jacketed soft point and the Nosler Sporting handgun bullet in .429 300gr jhpThey all should expand well at a broad range of velocities. I think that the .429s would have a higher sectional density which in theory is better. The .429s will be a little longer so it should fly a little better. The .452 is bigger so it will make a bigger initial hole. I think they all have some kind of bonding process to aviod jacket separation. I have read a lot of good things on this forum about the Gold dots and how well they hold up so my leaning is that way but these others seem like they would do well also. I don't have the opporunity here in central WI to do lots of range shooting (or I would get some of each)so I will probably pick one bullet and work a load up with it
All of these are reasonably priced inboxes of 50 or 100 which is way better than the dollar per bullet the Expander MZs were costing me. My wallet and wife didn't care for that anymore. So I'm going to bulk buy, much better prices this way.

What are your thoughts comparing these three pistol bullets for muzzleloading?Would be hunting whitetail or bigger and shooting possibly out 180-200yds with most shots inside 100yds.
Any of these would work well. I like the 300g .452 Gold Dots, but that is just me. Chap Gleason