Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 put the triumph to the test this weekend >

put the triumph to the test this weekend

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

put the triumph to the test this weekend

Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default put the triumph to the test this weekend

man was the illinois muzzleloader season horrible weather wise. my normal 1.5 hour drive turned into 2.5 hours. there was snow, sleet, freezing rain.
i killed a 120lbs dressed doe on friday morning.
but, it was raining, and freezing every day all day. i had my gun barrel with ice on it. my ram rod frozen and wouldn't come out. i had a sheet of ice on my coat and bibs.
well i haven't noticed any rust or corrosion on my gun. it has the weathersheild on it. i didn't notice any wather on my powder. but when i got back to the clubhouse i would pull the plug, drop the pellets and leave the bullet in. i looked down the barrel and could see daylight around my sabot. i would guess that water could get inbetween the sabot and the barrel and hit the powder. i thought that the sabot would mold around and into the lands and grooves.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: put the triumph to the test this weekend

Well congratulations on the deer. Also that is interesting that you could see day light around the sabot. That right there is excellent information and all the more reason to consider a muzzle mitt.

How long ofa shot did you have? Also I am guessing you were shooting two pellets, but what bullet did you use? A 120# doe is a nice sized doe. You will have some excellent eating there. I heard about the ice storms down your neck of the way. I do not envy you for that. I'd much rather have six inches of snow over an inch of ice...
Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Spike

[align=left]I guess just by habit, I always pull the sabot and powder. I just always have. The ice storms here have been no fun here in Indiana as well. Went to get into my Outhouse pop up blind that I set up the other day. Low and behold the whole thing was covered in ice, could'nt even budge the zippers, froze solid. Thought I'd go to my ladder stand I have thats deeper in the woods. Bad idea, ice covered to! So, I sat on the ground yesterday afternoon. I'm with you cayugad, rather have snow than ice anyday.
By the warnings that are flashing on tv right now. Another ice strom is on its way for tonight and tomorrow, with sleek, freezing rain and all. Was planning on taking of tomorrow and get my one last doe. Might just wait till next week.
[/align]
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

my shot, well it was a mere 30 feet. yeah easy. i was using 2 T7 mag pellets and a 250 shockwave superglide. she was quartering to me a bit and i took out one lung and off side lever. she did not die for about 1.5 hours afterward. i walked up to her she was still alive. walked off twice before she laid her head down.

how did you figure i was using 2 pellets? just wondering what clued you to that.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

my shot, well it was a mere 30 feet. yeah easy. i was using 2 T7 mag pellets and a 250 shockwave superglide. she was quartering to me a bit and i took out one lung and off side lever. she did not die for about 1.5 hours afterward. i walked up to her she was still alive. walked off twice before she laid her head down.

how did you figure i was using 2 pellets? just wondering what clued you to that.
lucky guess..
Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

Why did you not put a second shot into her? Where was the first shot placed? Thats why i do not like pistol bullets, They dont expand at short distances. I find 9mm,10mm, 40cal and .44 bullets all over my property from when we shoot. With a short shot like that and a pistol bullet, I would have put it through the shoulder to hit a bone and better the chances of it expanding.

How far she run after the shot?

Great job on getting one. I hunt during muzzleloader season in September and it feels like i didnt even go hunting lol.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why did you not put a second shot into her?
Me too. Why?

Consider carrying a round ball or two. For a down but alive deer, one pellet (or a 50 grain charge)and an unpatched ball just below the ear from 10 feet will end it.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

No good reason that deer was left laying there dying for 1 and a half hours. Thats my opinion.......
Old 12-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ditto
Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 AM

Now you guys,let not attack the man..Leave it alone,please..Chit happens to us all...

Quick Reply: put the triumph to the test this weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.