Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 "Idaho White" & a Bull Shop Trash Can >

"Idaho White" & a Bull Shop Trash Can

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Idaho White" & a Bull Shop Trash Can

Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default "Idaho White" & a Bull Shop Trash Can

24 degrees this morning 3 - 4" of fresh new tracken snow - had to head out to fill my Xtra deer (doe) tag.... beautiful morning. Actually i was more intent on catching up with a cow elk, but it wasn't to be this morning.

Left the truck @ 6:45 made my way about a 1/4 mile through the bush to what we call "red robbon" draw. Normally there are a lot of animals crossing this draw to get either back to cover or down to water. Zero elk movement observed so I decided to go down the south side of the draw a bit and find a sit down and wait spot. Got to the stump - shed my blaze orange hat and neck cover - put on my turkey mask and waited. Out of the corner of my eye I picked up some movement - high and to my left - naturally I had my sticks set up for down the draw. I was able to get turned and got the sticks set, a very poor set, looked down the barrel through the fiber optics and could not really make the deer out that well. Put up my bonoc's and looked at here - she was staring right at me big as life. I thought I was busted and actually considered not making the shot as she was standing behind a fallen log (broad side) and with my rotten eyes I really could notget a good look through the sights. But she was totally confused as to what I was tucked up against the big Doug Fir stump. So I set the sticks one more time - still not the best set and looked down the barrel. I guessed 75/85 yards - I could see the Doug Fir tree behind her very well in the front fiber - so I lowered every thing down till I couldn't see the tree any longer and the sight was in her body. I could see her ears and I knew she was broadside - so I held on the front part of the body right at I thought was her left shoulder. Pulled the set trigger then told myself "do not touch that front trigger until you know you are on her" - touched her off - got to see her go down and then nothing. Stood up pulled a quick loader out and reloaded.

Walked over to the log and there she lay... Then out of curiosity I lasered back to my stump 97 yards - just a bit longer than I estimated - I am terrible at estimating

Here is a pic - not a bad sized animal - sorry about the blood in the pic...

Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Idaho White" & a Bull Shop Trash Can

Very nice deer there Conical loader.. That really is a nice doe. So I take it the Renegade with the Green Mountain Barrel and the BullShop conical got her attention pretty fast? I will also guess you got pass through, but when they go down that fast, it makes little difference. That would be a good elk load as well.

Nice shooting there Sabotloader and congratulations on the deer...
Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 PM

Conicalloader, December 12? Howyoudodat?

Nice job, way to prove how those big slugs of lead work!!! Guess if ya keep puttin meat in the freezer, that kind of justifies those new purchases. Does Terry see it that way?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer looks really healthy to be dead.

Good shot der ol' man.

Dull Shop??
Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM

Retired Idaho school teacher. Think of how many lives he affected!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - thank you.... it was a pass through - but did not want to show that side - it was a pretty decent but bloody hole.

Cdad & UC

craps ta boat of yas.... eyze got da wrong calendar up here next to dis here maashin... itzs still November accorden toit

Da boolit waaz "Dull" - it was un old one -sorta like da shooter... seez i nose wat aye ment...

& furder cdad we werze un-defeeted in dat dare footbal seezon -so eyze did sompin rite... and da and da - da deer is layen dare aint it - dat was rite ok also....

Terry first words when I brought the Renegade in and told herno elk but i did get a deer... "well if you are shooting that rifle, why did you need another one?" I tried to splain the rules - but that fell on deaf ears.... I think you would know what I mean...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations Mike, Lee
Old 12-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the nanny.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shootin Conical loader
Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the doe!

Quick Reply: "Idaho White" & a Bull Shop Trash Can

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.