Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Kodiack Pro 209 Magnum not sealed breech >

CVA Kodiack Pro 209 Magnum not sealed breech

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Kodiack Pro 209 Magnum not sealed breech

Old 12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Spike

Default CVA Kodiack Pro 209 Magnum not sealed breech

They advertise it as a sealed breech but.................if you close the breech and lock it...go ahead and spray that expanding foam bore cleaner down the bore and keep spraying you will see that the foam sprayd out the breech end. I now know why all of my powder loads were getting soaked. I thought it was a sealed breech as advertised....but it's not!!! So, watch your powders...............and use more electrical tape like I have to.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Kodiack Pro 209 Magnum not sealed breech

This foam will come through even with a primer in the breech plug? WOW!!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very few, if any, MLers have a 100% sealed breach. If your load is getting soaked you must be hunting in some heavy rain or some very wet conditions.

My son has a Winchester Apex (same basic gun as the Kodiak) and I have a Magbolt that is not sealed in any real way (even around the primer which causes significant blowback). We were hunting in the rain (not real heavy butfairly constant)and snow last weekend with no muzzle or breach covers. We didn't point the barrels up was the only real caution we took to keep water out of the guns. The first day was around freezing with rain and snow, second was snow in the morning and about 25 to 35, third day warmed up to the mid 50's. After 3 days we decided to shoot out the loads just to verify they were still good, both fired instantly and hit POA at 50 yards. Both guns were using Rem Kleanbore primers, his had Pyrodex P and mine had 777 2F powder. I guess if it had been a pouring rain and the guns were constantly being drenched it may have been a different story but inour case everything still worked.

Even with a truely sealed breach gun there is still the possibility that water can enter the powder through the barrel by seeping past the bullet via the rifleing since most bullets and sabots don't completely seal the bore unless very tight. Also, the foaming cleaners are going to seep out from around the breach just as any liquid would, after all you don't have an O-ring that seals the breach end of the barrel to the action so there is still a small air space there for it to come through.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

How is it possible to have a sealed breechif there is aflash hole?
AFAIK, only the CVA Electra doesn't have a flash hole.

The ARC™ Electronic Ignition is completely sealed from the elements – there’s not even a flash-hole.