Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloader scope??? >

Muzzleloader scope???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader scope???

Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Muzzleloader scope???

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I'm wanting a scope for my inline muzzleloader cause my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I have never bought a scope or know much about them. I have a 50 Cal. CVA muzzleloader. I shoot 295 grain powerbelts with 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets. What should I look for in a scope for shots of 100 yards in. I don't feel comfortable shooting over that. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Chad
Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader scope???

For 100 yard shooting, and you don't want to break the bank, a Nikon Pro Staff in 2-7x32mm would do you fine. If you want to spend some money, the Nikon Omega, or Bushnell 3200 with Rain guard, there are lots of good scopes out there.

The thing I always keep in mind is, for stalking I want a real low power like 2&3X. For sitting, at least a 7X as that would do you to 150 yards with little problems. Then I was a scope with good eye releif, 3.8-4 inch is what I want. Last I want good clarity, a good parallex, and a life time warranty. That was why I suggested the Nikon Pro Staff. There are better scopes out there, but none that I need for the money.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

Thiscompact 4X32 scope with a little extra eye relief is a fairly good all around scope for close in and longer range shots out to 100 yards.
No need tospend a lot of money either.

Here'sSimmonsmodel #510482 with a Truplex reticle and 4.25 inches of eye relief. It's a compact scope so you don't get wacked in the eye! It's available from several online retailers including having one delivered to your local Walmart:

http://www.snapberry.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GS39754&click=1 9

https://www.wescooutfitters.com/p-9432-prosport-scopes-4x32-black-matte-by-simmons.aspx

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=355617&kwtid=250740

Walmart's picture isn't correct though:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=6340050& amp;sourceid=1500000000000003260410#Features+%26+S pecifications
Old 11-29-2007, 04:41 AM

Hey I've got the exact same setup on my cva, I got a deal from sportsmans guide on a bsa 4x16x50mm scope(it's a varmit scope)but it was such a good deal couldn't pass it up, shoots fines, close groups and hasn't missed a deer yet!!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree with cayugad the Nikon Pro Staff 2x7is a excellent scope With the rings and bases it costs around $165.00
I got my first deer with a muzzle loader this year using the Pro Staff 2x7.
It wasabout 110 to 115 yard shot. Using a Knight Revolution 80 grains of 777 powder & a Precision Rifle 240 grain Dead Center bullet.
ORIGINAL: cayugad

For 100 yard shooting, and you don't want to break the bank, a Nikon Pro Staff in 2-7x32mm would do you fine. If you want to spend some money, the Nikon Omega, or Bushnell 3200 with Rain guard, there are lots of good scopes out there.

The thing I always keep in mind is, for stalking I want a real low power like 2&3X. For sitting, at least a 7X as that would do you to 150 yards with little problems. Then I was a scope with good eye releif, 3.8-4 inch is what I want. Last I want good clarity, a good parallex, and a life time warranty. That was why I suggested the Nikon Pro Staff. There are better scopes out there, but none that I need for the money.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like fixed power scopes and recently picked up a bargain from a relatively new name to the optics market. It's an Alpen optics 4X. Put it on my Traditions Pursuit Pro and headed for the range. Bore sighted to get the bullet on paper and fired one shot. It was high, so I lowered elevation and it went downbut thewindage changed, too. To make a long story short, it proved to be one of those models that any change toeither adjustment might move it in any direction, but I finally got it where I wanted it and it seems to be staying there. I'd recommend spending a few $$$$ more for a known name.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I like fixed power scopes"

So do i.My three muzzleloaders all have 4X scopes. The Encore has taken hogs to nearly 200 yards on a couple of occasions.The Staghorn has a Nikon ProStaff 4X: That is a super scope for the money. It is very good in low light.

Most of the world's snipers in WWII used low power scopes.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a lot of good scopes to chose from, some fairly low priced on that are hard to tell from the expensive ones anymore. So your budget and what you are willing to spend enters into it big time, The first thing I would warn against if you dont already know about it especally if you have not used scopes much is that to much power when your hunting is going to make it very hard to find your game, it also makes shooting offhand very difficult especally if you have always used iron sights.
It sounds like you have the same problem I do in that age has caused your eyes to loose the ability to focus at multiple ranges so you can see the target and the sights at the same time , any good scope will eliminate that, another problem one that some people dont realize usually goes with that and that is your ability to preceive light has lessened, the right scope can help that some to. In the specs of the scope they will call it lumes.
So what it boils down to is that you need to look for certain things, low power with a large front lens[ objective] will give you the lumes or light gathering power but remember it goes down as the power goes up and the smaller the objective lens the less you start with. One of the other important things is the eye relief in order to keep the recoil from slaming the scope into your eye or forhead I suggest at least 4 inches or real close to it.
A 1 to 2 power for hunting so you have quick target pick up a varable with aupper end of at least 4 power is nice for sighting in and a bit of fun shooting so a 1.5X 4 X 32 is very good I have a BushnellTrophy on two of my guns and a 2X7X40 Swift on the other that I shoot a lot I rate them excellant, I also have several others including a Nikon and a Lepold which are very good; the Nikon Omega has fixed yardage markers right in with the cross hair which only matches one load [250 Shock Wave with 150 gr Pyrodex pellets] which very few guns happened to shoot so I persoally would avoid that one.
I hope this helps. Lee
Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

My shotguns and muzzleloader all have Leupolds. I've got a 1x-4x, 2x-7x, and 3x-9x. I prefer the Leupolds long eye relief. If you have ever been wacked on the face from a scope with short eye relief then you would know why Leopolds shotgun/muzzleloader scopes are a good buy.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy the highest quality fixed 4 power scope you can afford. 4X is more than enough for 100 yards. Fixed power scopes are more durable, and less expensive. This will allow you to buy better glass for the same price as a variable with lower quality glass. Tom.

Quick Reply: Muzzleloader scope???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.