Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ohio 2007 deer season >

Ohio 2007 deer season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ohio 2007 deer season

Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ohio 2007 deer season

First day of season was all rain. I got up and was sick--went back to bed until1pm. Felt decent later in the day so I hunted the last 3 hours until dark. Didn't see anything.

Much better day on Tuesday. This 6 pointer passed by my stand at first light at about 7am. Had to wait about 10 minutes for shot. Used my Knight Revolution II. First muzzleloader kill since 1997 and that was a 6 pointer too.

Used 120 grains of T7 with a 300 grain Speer jacked SP. It's a Uni-Cor bullet that was designed for the 454 Casull. Speer manual says it can be fired in the 1500 ft/sec range. I figure I'm at about 1800 fps with that load. Any way it worked great. I used a MMP HPH 24 sabot:

Doug
Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ohio 2007 deer season

That's a great buck you got there. Nice size, and nice eating... Congratulations!!!!

Did that Speer give you complete pass through? I am sure it did a number on the deer or it would not be on the back of your four wheeler. I have often times looked at that Knight Revolution but you never see a lot of posts on that rifle for some reason.

That rifle still requires the primer holder correct? And how is the blow back through the breech? Also do they clean as easy as they look? The reason I ask is I have a chance to pick one of them up very reasonable, but I do not know if I really want one. I do want a Rolling block I know that, and a new flintlocks but one can never have enough rifles..
Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations, Lee
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

That Speer bullet expanded to about quarter size on the exit wound. Inside 100 yards I highly recommend it. I messed around with Shockwaves some the past month but the Speer and also the 300 Mag XTP shot one hole groups at 100 yards in my rifle.

My Knight is the Revolution II. I believe all they did was change the trigger groups between the two models. My barrel is just marked Knight Revolution.

Never experienced any blow-back with this rifle. It does use the Full Plastic Jacket for the 209 primers and I prefer it to a rifle without. I makes it easy to prime the rifle with cold hands. The breech plug is flat with just a pin hole. Very easy to clean and the breach plug is MUCH, MUCH easier to remove after a day of shooting than with the TC Omega.

Doug
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tuesday part 2

For the evening hunt I had 4 deer come in at 5pm.

Two does and two fawns. I ended up taking the largest doe. ODNR said it 4.5+ years old. The buck was a 1.5 year old.

Again the Speer 300 grain Gold Dot SP exited and looks to have doubled in size before exit. If any one is interested the Speer part number for that bullet is 4485. The jacked is bonded to the core and appears to have expanded on both shots. I highly recommend it.

Doug
Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default RE: Tuesday part 2

Good deer there, what part of ohio u from? I went today and saw a small buck but couldnt get a shot off he was spooked by something. anyhow good deal on your deer........Shaun
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

Down in the Athens area.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your 2 kills!!!!!!! I'm still trying to get my 1st muzzleloader kill!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:31 PM

rd-
First off, congrats on two very successful hunts. We should all be so lucky!

Secondly, how far were both of your shots and how did the deer react? Boom flop or blood trail?

I looked at the Speer catalog for that item number and if I read it right, these are a different bullet than the Gold Dot that Sabotloader has talked so much about. The flat nose soft point bullet looks interesting, in fact, I'm going to pick up some of the 270 gr. Gold Dots tonight and try them this weekend.

Quick Reply: Ohio 2007 deer season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.