Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hawkins by t/c

Old 01-22-2003, 07:21 AM

Default hawkins by t/c

how were the old t/c rifles just pick one up made in the late 70's rifle is a 50 cal. flinter 1 in 48 twist and how do they compare to the ones made now?i was looking into a lyman gpr flinter but this came my way for $150.00 bucks hard deal to say no.would the hornady conical 385 grain be a good choice to shoot out of this gun.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hawkins by t/c

That's a good price if it's in good shape.

Old 01-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Dominant Buck

If the barrel is in good shape, thats a real good price. I have a 70's T/C Renegade but in .54 caliber. I found it likes almost anything but a sabot. I shoot a LEE 300 grain conical that I make from pure lead in mine. It does a great job with the conical which is really more like a ballet, only flat on the top. I also shoot a lot of round ball out of mine. The 1-48 twist is an all around shooter, and it does very well. I have no complaints about it. Good luck with the flinter...
Old 01-25-2003, 08:46 AM

cayugad:from what the guy's says who i bought it from the gun is in mint shape i should be getting it next week with a 3 day inspection i was thinking in trying the hornady great plains 385 grain conical in it to see how it shoots the only problem is trying to get my hands on black powder may have to go to a couple of gun shows to see if i can locate some powder or order it on the web.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes at gun shows you can but Maxi-hunter bullets cheap. These bullets shoot well out of T/C Hawkens.

Old 01-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

As 1950KID said, the T/C Maxi Hunters do shoot real well out of them. So do the Buffalo Bullets. I was shooting some 426 grainer I believe they were. A lot of power there, but also a lot of fun to shoot. Rather expensive thought, so I bought my own mold. I am finding here, that Black Powder is getting real hard to find. The stores are only carrying Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex Select, and 777. I shoot Pyrodex Select, and I have a couple pounds of Clean Shot I play with, and it works great, but I am not sure about it in a flinter. The other fellows would know. If the barrel is not all rusted and pitted, as a gunsmith can tell you with one of them barrel scope things, that would be a nice rifle. Worse comes to worse, you can always get a Green Mountain Barrel for the rifle too.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:31 PM

well i got the 50 cal. hawkin to day really great shape gun all except a small hair line crack in the stock that holds the lock in place seem like the guy just overtighten it other wise the gun is mint shape.the crack is near the top and threw the the hole that the screw goes threw on the left side may just drill into the stock from the top a insert a small brass rod and expoy in place should work don't see that it will give any problem when shooting here is a picture of the gun http://photos.yahoo.com/lonewolf53472000
Old 01-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Spike

lonewolf the early T C flinters had a case harden frizen, when the case harden wears thru, it will not spark well. but T C will fix it as well as the stock if it is not a kit gun. the 50cal. hawkens i have (3 of them) all shoot 90grs of 2f black and a 385gr buffalo bullet quite well.

Old 01-30-2003, 04:48 PM

jim: the gun is not a kit gun it was made in 1975 i wonder if t/c will keep records that far back. i spoke with the gentleman who sold me the gun he doen't have his half of the warranty card. also i notice that the frizzen does have a gouge from were the flint strikes the frizzen but she still throws some nice spark .I am going to give it a shot @ return the stock to t/c and see what happens if they will warranty the crack in the stock
Old 02-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about the condition of the barrel, lock ,stock or the gun as a whole.T/C has a lifetime warranty.They will replace your cracked stock. Read on.I've had a Renegade over twenty five years I would guess.A couple years ago my stock cracked. I was asked to send the stripped down stock to them. About ten days later I had a new gun less the barrel and Ramrod.I received a new lock, triggers etc at N/C.Yes I'm the original owner but there was never a question about it. A year later the new stock cracked again and It wasn't even fired since I received it back from the first stock replacement. This time I sent the complete rifle. A short time later I received it back with another new stock.Like before N/C for the repair or replacement.I wouldn't hesitate buying any T/C product. They stand behind their products and no questions asked.Other companies need to follow in T/C footsteps when it comes to customer service and their warranty.
Ruger Redhawk

..... A Proud NRA Life Member since 1977 .....Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: hawkins by t/c

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.