Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 i need answers tonight please!! >

i need answers tonight please!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

i need answers tonight please!!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default i need answers tonight please!!

im going to the range tomorrow morning at 8 am and season starts the next day so i need to know tonight if this load combo will work on deer or if i should get something else. just to let you know this is my first season with a m/l, so im a newby.please tell me your thought and if there is something better and why. any info is appreciated!!!
im shooting a cva optima elite 50 cal
winchester primers
245gr hollow point powerbelts
2 50gr sticks of jim shockys powder

shots will be anywhere from 40 yards to 150.

also cinsidering these ranges how should it be sited in?(dead on at 100? 2 inches high at 50? etc)

is there anything wrong with this load anything i should change etc.
again any info is appreciated.
thank jeff

Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: i need answers tonight please!!

ORIGINAL: duckdog132

im going to the range tomorrow morning at 8 am and season starts the next day so i need to know tonight if this load combo will work on deer or if i should get something else. just to let you know this is my first season with a m/l, so im a newby.please tell me your thought and if there is something better and why. any info is appreciated!!!
winchester primers

also cinsidering these ranges how should it be sited in?(dead on at 100? 2 inches high at 50? etc)

thank jeff
You're going to get lots of opinion on the powerbelts. Some people like them, and others hate them. Because your shooting an Optima the load should work, but I would get my hands on some 250 grain Shockwaves and see how they shoot. I just think they would be a better long range bullet then the powerbelt.

How is should be sighted in would depend on what you felt the most common distance you might have to shoot. Otherwise set for the medium range of 100 yards and sight it dead on. Then you need to learn the drop of the different projectiles. Most of the time I found that when I sighted in for long distance shots, the deer about walked up to me.. That was my luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most on this board dont seem to be big powerbelt fans..... You may wanna read the thread and decide for yourself. However if that combo will group I would probably try it...aim for rib cage.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

is two50 gr stick enough powder or to much?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as you dont use over 90 grs of powder pyrodex or 100grs of APP or Shockleys Gold that load will work fine.
Your trajectory will be like a rainbow the PB's are dinosaurs you might look at SW[Shock Waves] or Gold Dots with the appropreate sabot which will fit your barrel right when you have the time to do it right. Lee
Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

is 50 gr enough powder or to much?
Is 50 grains of powder enough for what? Shots out to 150 yards ... NO. Make the gun fire and throw a powerbelt down range, probably. What is it you want to do with the 50 grains? Do you mean the two 50 grain pellets.. that should be a good load. I am not sure I would shoot 150 yards with a powerbelt at that distance unless I practiced a lot, and could place my shot. Also I would wait for the exact shot to present itself before shooting. Now with a Shockwave and 100 grains you might be all right.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad,would you consider using a PB beyond 100ydswith a90 gr pyrodex load which is the most the manufacturer recommends for good reason? While two of my inlines will shoot them with in two minites of angle I have not been able to arc them enough to hit the long range gongs on our range;there forconsider the longer ranges questionable where they are concerned.
I do not have any problem hitting the same gongs every time with a SW or GD. Lee

Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

winchester primers

thank jeff
If you are gonna use a PB, take broadside bow shots, nothing else. Shoot low charge, like 80g. My recommendation is get another bullet, Nosler Partition, Harvester SaberTooth, XTP, ShockWave, almost anything. Do NOT shoot over 100 yardswith that load. I assume you mean 2 50g sticks not just 1. Best Wishes. Chap Gleason
Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 PM

80 grains t7 and a 225 grain powerbelt was only 4" low @ 150 yards.

Heart shots drop them within a few yards.

Im not sure how the JSG will perform, so i'd pick up some pyrodex pellets or loose powder to take along as a spare.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of powerbelts. My stepbrother and father use them. My father actually uses that same load in his optima. Killed a pretty nice deer last year at 170yds with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.