Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 The Hit List grows..... >

The Hit List grows.....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Hit List grows.....

Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default The Hit List grows.....

I couldn't help climbing back in the stand this morning even though all I had was a camera. It was 38 degrees and a gusty west wind. It is this week of bow season each year when I develop the list of bucks I will (try to) kill if one of them presents an opportunity during firearms, when I'll be waiting with a Hawken in hand. To make the list a buck must be 2 1/2 years of age. The less likely he is to improve with age, the higher on the list he goes. After today, there's a new "man" on the leader board.

I bumped a deer in the dark on the way in, it's eyes aglow in the light from my LED. It hopped into the pines upwind; no snort. Young buck I thought. I entered the pines, angling to the stand. The eyes glowed there in the black. I had a near big buck attack years ago so I'm always cautious but that's another story. Once aloft, it wasn't 5 minutes before I made out a deer just east, downwind. Same deer I figured, circled to find scent. Found none. Soon I made out two others there in the dark. Doe and two fawns. Somehow I slipped between them. Off to the west, with binoculars, I found another mature doe. She made her way 100 yards east, hesitantly, to join these others. The doe with fawns offered a cool reception. The fawns went to her eagerly and licked at her nose. The four of them disappeared into the timber to the east. New, big doe, in the rear. Interesting. Mental note made.

Ten minutes had not passed when I picked up antlers in the binos, 200 yards out, the tall grasses obscuring all but his head. A small 8 point. Something had his attention to the north and he soon bolted, and was overtaken by a big racked buck, both disappearing west behind heavy cover. Wish I'd gotten to study the big deer.

A bit later, my matriarch showed up. I didn't see her 'till she made the wheat. She shook vigorously. I'm guessing she'd been bedded in the sedge grass across the way. This is your chance to meet her. I've figured out how to work the focus on the camera. Note the white hair inside her right rear leg.

" />

Good news! She had the fawn twins in tow. Both are bucks. They too went east of me.

15 minutes or so passed, now 7:15. Maybe it's over I thought. Wrong. I picked up movement at 300 yds. through a gap in the trees lining the field. Raising the binoculars I see the chest of a bruiser heading my way at a gallop. He doesn't like being in the open and he's taking the shortest route from available cover to my oasis. He pauses and my eyes grow wide. Nice deer. He disappears behind the heavy cover. Five minutes pass, and out of the cover squirts the small 8 pointer I'd seen earlier. He knows who's boss.

" />

Another five minutes, and out steps a doe. No sign she has an ******, but look who follows. You can see her to the right.

" />

" />

He's a fine 5x4. I'd guess he'd gross 138, net 133. Would have bested 140 as a 5x5. I figured him for 3 1/2 but changed my mind. Five minutes later a bad boy shows up. One of those blocky 3 1/2 year old 8 pointers use to getting his way. He had an attitude. You can see his hair bristled up as he joins the small 8 to watch the show. Watching them interact, the chain of command was clear; 4 1/2, 3 1/2, 2 1/2. The chunky 8 put on a show but was not about to take on the "Man".

" />

I thought this shot of the two voyeurs was neat. Overlapping antler.

" />

I stayed another 15 minutes or so hoping to get some better shots for you fellas. I couldn't see the "Man" or his girl at this point. I believe they had bedded as had each of the subordinate bucks during this standoff. Once the subs began to move east I knew the big boy was moving so I got the heck out of there, fearing they might cross to my side of the field and trap me or worse, make me.

What a great way to start a day.........
Old 11-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The Hit List grows.....

You really have some excellent bucks on that stand. Good luck. It will be interesting to see if one of them large horns commit themselves to your range...
Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Cayugad - I'm more likely to see a buck I've never seen before than this 9 pointer or the 11 from the other evening. As the leaves and temp drops, the deer use the pines around me more frequently. I may well see one of these junior bucks but I won't be shooting them. I'd rather thin the does. Best chance at a big guy will be Dec. 7th or 8th, if past is prescient.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Around where I live, they turned the hunters loose basically on the herd. We were encouraged, even forced to shoot does instead of bucks. Now the deer herd is really down. I see a couple doe now and then, but have yet to see a buck this year.

Taking doe from a large herd actually is a good thing. It gives the smaller bucks a chance to mature, thins the herd so they are not so hard on the environment and food supply, helps keep deer disease down, and fills your freezer with excellent tasting meat at the same time. Good luck. Shoot a nice doe and a big buck. I really like the pictures of the bucks though. It gets me all psyched.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Man, you still have leaves on the trees? What part of the States do you live in? Here in Alberta all the leaves were gone about 3 weeks ago.Nice for visability though.It's always good to do a little early deer patterning, don't be shy about moving treestands[ discretely of course] to ambush your intended buck if needed.Got our meat in the freezer, so now sitting on buck tags waiting for the rut to commence full swing..........Nice pics.....Harold
Old 11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. Great pictues. Nice bucks, you have something to really look forward for. Good luck trying to get the big boy. Chap Gleason

Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Pioneer - East coast, Mid-atlantic, Maryland. Stays warmer longer due to Bay and ocean proximity. Leaves will be gone by Thanksgiving (US version). Good luck with the rut Howard.

Nice bucks, you have something to really look forward for.
Chapman - that's the main reason I've been out there. Knowing there are good bucks around makes a huge difference in staying alert on stand, putting in the hours, and knowing which bucks to pass on. The hard part starts now. I really should take 4 more does this year. Do I shoot the doe or wait for Mr. Big? The doe in the right side of the pic above with the 9 pointer gave zero indication he was behind her. Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come on Yeoman, show him the map.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=16&Z=15&X=33&Y=32 2&W=2&qs=%7cgreenfield%7cmo%7c

Ok, Ok, UC ..... I'll give him a map.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:18 PM

I don't see any deer on that map, just lots of cemeteries. [8D]

Quick Reply: The Hit List grows.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.