Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chek yer screwz!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chek yer screwz!

Derned if I didn't waste about $40+ worth of powder and bullets before I realized there might be a problem with my mounts. [X(]

Had been trying to sight in with some TC Shockwave 200 grainers (.50/.40) in my White UltraMag - ok, so I shot some plastic - quite a bit of plastic (and I am asking forgiveness). I had used BM3 powder (some old stuff that I finally decided to burn) and gave it up for Swiss as the BM3 just seemed too erratic. Not terrible but not good either. The two groups from yesterday shown in the below image were fired with BM3. It seemed every group involved a walking pattern but not always in the same direction.

So I switched to Swiss FFFg and fired a couple of groups with it - not horrible and a slightly different behavior but still about a 1.75" spread. I was scratching my head and thinking something just wasn't right.

This morning I got the wild idea that it might be my mounts. I checked the front base - rock solid... checked the rear base - uh oh. Loose! Started to take that rear base off and barely touched those screws when they fell out. Seems I had forgotten to Loc-Tite those screws (for that base only) way back when. I cleaned everything up and went so far as to put a different rear base on - with new screws and blue Loc-Tite.

Waited a little while then went shooting this afternoon...

<-- click to see larger image

DOH!! Over the past week and a half I've shot probably $40 to $50 worth of powder and bullet through that rifle and kept wondering what was wrong. This might go on record as one of my longest sustained cases of brain flatulence. []

So check those screws and shoot your rifles before heading out - there just might be a major heartache avoided by doing so.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Chek yer screwz!

Well if everything always worked the way it was supposed to life would be much less interesting. Lee
Old 11-02-2007, 05:52 PM

UC that's not the first time,or will be the last time that has happened to a shooter. This week I took a friend out to sight in his hand gun. He had a Red Dot scope on it and it was hitting all over the target. After about 35 rounds the scope fell off on a shot. I couldn't help laughing at him! They are tight now,and the gun shoots right on the money! My wifes scope broke this year,and we replaced it with a new one. We checked the mounts and they were tight but the scope wasn't staying zeroed. I guess there's a certain life time on everything. Got the new scope mounted and the gun is driving tacks. Shot it at 100yds,and she had a nice group going after three shots,then I took over and shot 2 more> 1 right 3 O'clock,and the next right,and low 5 O'clock. I guess she can out shoot me now. He He ! I wanted to get her a new T/C,but she likes her Knight Wolverine (she's had it for 8 years). Maybe I need one too! Ron http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/rks1949/Hunting/100ydtarget.jpg
Old 11-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

U R forgivin Uncle Rich. Nice shootin
Old 11-02-2007, 06:09 PM

How many times have we seen UC give the advice to check the scope mount screws?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Being it was you having the problem UC it makes me glad to know there is still hope for me when I screw up...

Just kidding.. that is a heck of a group you have there.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm happy with it now. What is truly amazing was the rifle was still holding ~2" groups with the rear base loose. The front ring/base must have really been doinga great job.

Yep, FG, u no whut dey say - der'z nun like an old 'un.

Check your screws.

Had something else happen today that is a mystery to me even though this is the second time I've seen it happen (not on the same rifle). On that first shot (before the adjustment), my breechplug nearly unscrewed itself. It was about 2/3 of the way out. I've NO explanation for how that happens. Anyone else ever see that occur?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the hint underclocked, I just checked every screws on my scope mount, the rings where really loose.

now what ideas do you have for loose screws that are in my head.[8D]

Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

nothing comes to mindbut I'm not the best one to ask... plenty of my own.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 PM

Dont feel bad UC, I always knew you had a screw loose everytime u started talking like that

Quick Reply: Chek yer screwz!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.