Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BP shotguns?

Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default BP shotguns?

Has any one seen one lately ? We have regs for them . I haven't seen one for sale new in like 15 years , any ideas ?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BP shotguns?

Knight makes the TK-2000 12 gauge ML shotgun, which is the first one that comes to mind. It's a current production shotgun. I think that T/C also makes one, and maybe Traditions. I'd check out the major ML makers websites and see what you can find.

I, personally, have seen them, but never shot one, nor do I really have any interest in them. I've read that working up a load that patterns well can be a major pain. And I imagine that they are not easy or quick to load (by ML rifle standards).

Mike

Old 11-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Spike

I own 2 White tominators shot guns and absolutely love them. they will smoke a turkey at 50 yds without a problem
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a White like it real well.And a CVA Double,like it as well.

big rockpile
Old 11-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Spike

I have a TC New Englander that I really like, 12 gauge in percussion. You see them occasionally on the gun auctions. Dont believe anybody makes a traditional anymore except pederosi.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks all . It was more a curiousity thing than a real blood lust gotta have one thing . I thought it might be a fun way to open duck season and a good excuse to be shooting more . I like the thought of seeing that Warrden scratdh his head when he wants to check ammo and I hand him a bag of loose shot .
Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few on the market. I believe CVA, Traditions, Knight, and T/C all have inline models available.
I have a T/C NewEnglander 12ga I enjoy shooting.
A .62 (20ga) smoothbore flinter can be a good (versatile) choice, too - but price can put a damper on owning one. I had one, but unfortunately the maker cut too many corners in manufacture and it wasn't all that dependable. After the stock cracked and I had it replaced the lock broke. I had it replaced and then traded it before something else broke.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:14 PM

Be a good idea to call deer creek and ask if they have any shotguns.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Spike

I got a dbbl 12 with 32 in barrels, manufactured in India in 1974. I got it in 77 or 78. beautiful hardwood stock, steel ramrod. Only one from there I have ever seen. Has 3 proof marks on each barrel, what a joy to shoot, takes #12 caps, which I havent seen for a long time, last time I did I bought all the vendor had. I ordered some horsehair wads (grease them well) for it back then and still havent used them all. Tried plastic reloding wads, but they left a lot of residue. I also talked to this oldtimer (he was prob 70 then) who told me that when he was a kid some guys used wadded up news paper for wads between the powder and shot. I tried it (the paper)and got accecptable results, (for a squirrel hunter). But I recommend the horsehair wads now. Everything I ever read suggested using equal volumes of powder and shot (same measure-90 grains=1 1/4 oz shot). Haven't shot that gun for at least ten years now, all this is getting me revved up to go fire it up. I'll try to take a good picture of it and post it.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

I've got the TK-2000 and swear by it. I took a tom in the spring at 60 yards and dropped it dead in its tracks. These work by using a 3-1/2" shot cup and you fill it all the way up with #4 shot or what your state allows. I think it totals to around 420 pellets if memory serves me. So you have 420 pellets shooting out at the bird vs 100 or so from a standard shotgun. At 25 yards it blows out the target big enough to put your fist through. One of the best I've seen. I bought mine from a guy whowon it at a Wild Turkey banquet for only 100 bucks brand new in box. It was a steal but he made money as it only cost him 10 bucks for the ticket and he did'nt blackpowder hunt. If I could find that deal again I would be on it.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/gotbuck1127/Turkey_target.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/gotbuck1127/100_1830-rev.jpg

Quick Reply: BP shotguns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.